First 24 Hours with my 200 Series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just bought my dream car, five years before I thought I’d be able to pull it off. 2016 LX 570.

If you look at my YouTube history, there’s countless videos of 1960 Troopy’s - Heritage LC. I’ve been obsessing over all the different models/configurations and hoping to get into this world. Hopefully I can buy more and have a collection.

Now, that I’m drinking a beer and looking at the beauty in my driveway, I need to reflect on the first 24 hours.

It pains me, but I have a few concerns. Figured from the short time of ownership, I can learn from the community how to address. I hope to own this car for the 25+ Years left in its lifetime.

1. A clicking sound from the driver side. Not sure if it’s front or back wheel. Sounds like there’s a rock stuck in the wheel. Really hoping it’s a small fix/adjustment.

2. I was driving up and over a coastal range ~1,000 ft elevation gain, at the summit, quick stop for the dog to pee and the left side again, front/rear, smelled like brakes were burning. Drove down to beach and all the way home, didn’t notice it again, so maybe just random.

3. My drivers seat feels generally uncomfortable. I’m 6’4” and 270lbs. Noticed today while driving the seat ends at my shoulder blades and the torso section of the seat is kinda short. Weird upper back pains in the shoulders. Really hoping it’s something else, as I can’t find other disgruntled with the seats.

As you can tell, I want everything to be perfect, as this car is my dream car. I’m posting as I want to find quick solutions, so I can look back at this post and laugh. I hope this is my car for several years to come.

1B842ACA-F68C-4234-BAA9-5804E667B89C.jpeg

3FC97098-89F2-46AC-B7CA-5A3E3003A93A.jpeg

8F200FD4-5C11-4508-B057-EED834F61656.jpeg

Welcome and congratulations on your new ride. 👍👍

The seat used to be a contention for me. I’m 5’10” 185lbs and I find the lower seat portion to be a bit short for my thighs, can’t imagine what it would be like if I had longer legs. However, I have grown used to it and don’t really notice it. Everyone else in the family loves how comfortable the seats are but they aren’t over 6ft either. Unfortunately, you might have better seat comfort with a Merc, Caddy or Nav. The most important seat is always the main person who drives the vehicle. If you can’t find comfort, I’d sell it and find something else.

Nice! With 91k miles it’s just a youngster. I’m worried for you about seat comfort. The mechanical things you mentioned are fixable if there is a problem. Seat comfort is not so easy. Give it a few more drives and report back.

Yes, the seats are totally world market on these 200s. I’m 6’2” and at the very limit of what I would consider lower leg seat comfort in my 200.
Sequoia and Tundra were designed for taller folks but obviously lack the attraction we all have for these 200s.
Crossing my fingers you can configure that drivers seat to fit you.

Does the clicking noise happen when turning? Sounds like the driver side CV. Hopefully that’s not the case but there are a couple threads if you search with videos etc so you can compare.

Not noticing the clicking when turning, rather just driving at low neighborhood speeds (under 35mph) with the driver side window down.

Has anyone researched if other seats would fit into the 200 series?
For instance-would BMW seats fit into a 200 series?
What about LX570 seats in a LC200?

I would play with the adjustment of the seat, make sure you have the thigh bolsters fully extended. While I typically like a very upright seating position in SUVs I have adopted more of a sports car seat position with the front of the bottom cushion significantly higher than the rear and a bit more recline. It took me a bit of playing with the seat and steering wheel position, etc to get it dialed in but thankfully once you have it dialed you save it to one of the presets and every time I enter the vehicle it all goes right back to how I like it.

I'm about as tall as you. You will eventually figure out the right seat position. I had to mess with lumbar to get it right. You can save the seat position once you dial it in. If you kill the battery for maintenance or for what ever reason you will lose the seat position in the memory. Another thing for tall folks is you might notice the diff light flashing from time to time. You just bumped the diff lock button with your long leg getting in. Continue driving with the flashing light. It's totally fine and will reset next time you restart the vehicle. Oh yeah don't forget to use the 4LO and lock the diff's a few times a year on loose ground. If your on loose ground just put it in 4LO and lock up the diff's even if you don't need it. The worst thing for this system is not using it. A lot of future problems can be avoided just by using the system on a semi regular basis. Think of it when you change your oil at the bare minimum.

Check the back wheel for the clicking. There is a flimsy brake shield that is prone to rot. A small little piece might be protruding and tapping on something. You will notice it more at slow speeds and longer tight curves. Kids used to tape playing cards to the forks on their bikes into the spokes for the same effect. At speed you don't notice it.

Congrats and good luck

Has anyone researched if other seats would fit into the 200 series?
For instance-would BMW seats fit into a 200 series?
What about LX570 seats in a LC200?
Anything is possible if you have deep enough pockets. I recall watching a video about the 100 series Johnathon Ward (Icon4x4) built for Joe Rogan. He put 7 series BMW seats in the front and commented on the PITA that was.

So some good news. The clicking sound was a simple fix. It was the center caps, popped all four off. Planning on getting 18 inch rims and BF KO2's. From what I've read these, seem like to go to for LC owners. LMK if anyone has recs for the rims. I was just thinking of getting the 200 series LC ones.

The seat, I played around with the Lumbar support and think I'm okay. I've noticed the headrest is like two-three inches behind my head, so maybe I'm got a little whiplash when testing the v8 acceleration. Need to get a new headrest, that shouldn't be too hard.

Also my previous car was a MDX, so driving the windy roads, I'm getting used to the body roll. So I think it's just some growing pains with the new car.

Congrats on the new ride! Glad to hear you are working through it. I can only imagine the different seat configurations you can play around with on your LX. Even after a couple years I still find myself fiddling with my LC seats trying to find the right settings. I have a couple sets of 18” LC wheels, sent you PM.

So some good news. The clicking sound was a simple fix. It was the center caps, popped all four off. Planning on getting 18 inch rims and BF KO2's. From what I've read these, seem like to go to for LC owners. LMK if anyone has recs for the rims. I was just thinking of getting the 200 series LC ones.

The seat, I played around with the Lumbar support and think I'm okay. I've noticed the headrest is like two-three inches behind my head, so maybe I'm got a little whiplash when testing the v8 acceleration. Need to get a new headrest, that shouldn't be too hard.

Also my previous car was a MDX, so driving the windy roads, I'm getting used to the body roll. So I think it's just some growing pains with the new car.
For some reason, the 2016+ LX’s lost lateral manual adjustment in their headrests and 16+ Cruisers gained it.

Id caution changing the headrest since it is active and part of a safety component. Perhaps adding a pillow/etc would be better. Just FYI….

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom