Finally! Something worth sharing. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I picked up my '99 LX last november with 120K miles on it for 9500$. US import. Full service records, TB done. No rust. Basically the thing is mint. Deal of a lifetime. I'm so glad I didn't buy the Xterra I was looking at.

Figuring that nobody needed to see pics of a stock truck I never bothered to introduce myself on the site. But I have been skulking around here regularly, leeching a lot of info, and I owe a huge amount of thanks to those who've made this forum such a valuable resource. Regular maintenance, fluids, installing new O2 sensors, techstream, tire info, brakes, the AHC flush I just did... There is no way a guy like me would be able to do all this stuff without you fine internet people.

Thanks!

Not long after getting the truck I ditched the step rails, picked up some tundra rims off craigslist, rattle canned them and mounted duratracs.

I didn't have to drive off pavement for very long before deciding that some rocker protection was in order. I went out to see Jason at Cruisin' Offroad who set me up with some sliders.

While I was there I mentioned that I would love to have a hidden winch installed. Jason took a look and some quick measurements and thought it was easily doable. I planned to run it by my wife and get some more money together, thinking I'd be back out to see him in April. It took an extra five months.

Last wednesday I popped across the border, picked up the winch and go out to CO's shop around 10am.

We figure that the whole thing weighs in around 90lbs. I'm hoping to run the AHC until one of us dies so I really wanted to avoid an aftermarket bumper.

I can't say enough good things about Jason and the work that he does. I showed up, hung out for an hour, went for a bike ride and the mount was basically done when I got back. All from scratch. I'm so happy about this that I can't stop gaping at it. My passengers like it too.

That's my story so far. The problem now is... where do I stop?

Looks great! Love the integrated winch, think Jason would be interested in making more or the cradles? Which roof box do you have? I am considering one myself.

Very nice!

How do you like the 18s off road?

Awesome job on the front winch mount. That is really really nice! You can get some front recovery points and splice a thimble onto the end of your rope and that would be a great little lightweight setup. Looking at it now almost makes me regret my front bumper purchase....hadn't seen a winch integrated this nicely into the OEM front bumper until now.

Looking good. Nice job on the hidden winch! You really do need a thimble though, either one that you have to thread on like Fireball posted, or a Factor 55 Prolink or FlatLink. It's way too easy to trash your winch line with it running under the bumper like that.

Love the look of that integrated winch! If you get a chance, could you shoot a couple pics from the bottom - I'd like to see how Jason reinforced the mount.

Wheels look great too!

Love the winch set up too! I have those wheels and tires, just no "rattle can". Looks great!

Wow, that integrated winch is impressive. Detailed enough that it looks oem on a LX!

Thanks for the responses and compliments, guys.

Looks great! Love the integrated winch, think Jason would be interested in making more or the cradles? Which roof box do you have? I am considering one myself.

It wouldn't hurt to send Jason a note through his website. He took some pretty detailed measurements during the build. It would just be up to the buyer to notch out the bumper support and cut the plastic away for the fairlead. Later model years have different bumper vents and moulding that might affect the final look and fit.
The roofbox is an older thule that I picked up off craigslist and I dont know the model. Used is the way to go if you ask me. I couldn't handle dropping 600$ on a new one. It holds a ton of gear and so far has kept everything dry.

Very nice!
How do you like the 18s off road?

The 18's have been fine for me but I'm not a hardcore wheelist. 16's and more rubber would certainly be better. I only swapped out the aftermarket 16" rims that were on it because I couldn't handle their chrome blingyness. The goodyears have pretty soft sidewalls and I haven't run them any lower than 18psi so far. But so far so good.

Awesome job on the front winch mount. That is really really nice! You can get some front recovery points and splice a thimble onto the end of your rope and that would be a great little lightweight setup. Looking at it now almost makes me regret my front bumper purchase....hadn't seen a winch integrated this nicely into the OEM front bumper until now.

Looking good. Nice job on the hidden winch! You really do need a thimble though, either one that you have to thread on like Fireball posted, or a Factor 55 Prolink or FlatLink. It's way too easy to trash your winch line with it running under the bumper like that.

Thanks for the recovery point link, fireball. Those are definitely something for the list. Agreed on the need for a thimble. I had been checking out the Prolink and if my crappy pioneer receiver hadn't just fried itself I'd have one on the way. Priorities...

Love the look of that integrated winch! If you get a chance, could you shoot a couple pics from the bottom - I'd like to see how Jason reinforced the mount.

This is the only other photo I have handy. The main plate extends out and back under the frame rails where it is attached with the factory recovery bolts. A third bolt secures the upright section on the inside of each rail which you can see in the pic of the tray before the winch is mounted.

I am super impressed and have been looking to do this to my LC 100.. I'd love to get a winch but don't want to replace bumper at this time.

Where is "Jason" located? And, how much did it cost you to do this?

Lastly, - do you have any access to the winch after mounting the bumper?

Great work! Your LX looks great!

I am super impressed and have been looking to do this to my LC 100.. I'd love to get a winch but don't want to replace bumper at this time.

Where is "Jason" located? And, how much did it cost you to do this?

Lastly, - do you have any access to the winch after mounting the bumper?

Great work! Your LX looks great!

Jason is in BC Canada. Cruisin offroad. I believe he is no longer doing shipping to the states. I was fortunate to get his sliders. I believe trailtaylor (ih8mud vender) will be offering something similiar this year.

Really nice job. I love the stealth winch setup. My cruiser came with an ARB but I'd rather have your setup honestly.

I did Tundra 18"s too recently. Mine came with Terra Grapplers. I plan to go with something meatier like Dura-Tracs next time around. Those look nice.

Would LOVE to know where the last photo was taken. What trail in CO is that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom