Finally found ny first 40!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Welcome, from Gainesville. We'll have to meet up one of these days.

It feels like the 40's are few and far between in Florida. I brought mine with me from out west.

That 40 looks great. Looks like your patience paid off.

I agree with Dieseler - keep the color.

And MTrunner, we should definitely get some folks together - there are several FJ40s here in Jacksonville and I'm trying to find as many owners as I can.

I'm just wrapping up restoring a '78 myself.

Will PM you.

Ocala~

Yes I am Here also, I have a 77 very close to the road maybe September! I think there are maybe 13 fj40 here local. Nice Find!!!!:lol:

Wow :eek:, nice rig! Someone went to a lot of trouble to get this rig to look so stock...you sure you couldn't find a cheaper rig to do what you want to do, you are basically rebuilding the whole rig anyways :meh:

But again...very nice rig :cheers:

Looking forward to a build thread :popcorn:

Edit. Just re-read my post...hope you know I am not trying to be a jerk...just wondered if it would not have been cheaper to get a less "completed" rig to do do everything you want to do.

Last edited:
Wellcome!!!

I´m sure that you I´ll enjoy the TLC world...and yes, sooner than you can imagine you `ll become a cruiser addicted, in a good mood.

Very nice Rig, good one as a first 40!! It´s in a really good shape!!

Mine is blue(close to nordic blue) so I´m suspect...but, keep the color it shows a lot of 40´s vintage personality!

Regards

Hi Dean - No prob. with your post, I can see how you would think that from the pics. I looked for a 79-82 for several months and everything that was cheap in comparison to this truck was junk. This truck is also a little rougher in person than it is in the pics. Up close, paint has some fisheye, tub and doors need to be blocked out to make them really right, the amby doors need adjustment and a lower striker. Suspension is tired, diffs and tcase have minor leaks, etc. Having done a couple of restos (68 Camaro, 79 Trans Am, 69 Vette) I have learned the hard way that it is usually cheaper in the long run to buy a solid truck with no rust to start with than it is to buy a cheap vehicle up front. It's the little stuff that usually sets one truck apart from the next, and the combination of rust and the little stuff can really run the cost up.

Ultimately, time will tell if I made a good purchase or not, but right now it feels like I am in good shape. I'm gathering parts right now, trying to come up with a 6.0L LQ9 engine. Have most of my suspension stuff, a warn 8274-50 and a roller fairlead bumper. Plan on doing the lift in the next couple of weeks so I can order the right bilstein shocks and then really tearing into it over the summer. Planning on a buildup thread when I do.

Greg

Wow! The Florida folks are coming out of the woodwork. Nice to hear there are more originals and resto's - have not seen too many of these in the past few years when running the Ocala area? Suggest you stay away from some of us Florida folks - not many stay looking that nice, would be a shame, from the pics - it looks beautiful.

Keep the color. Althought I agree with Poser - go auto.

A great looking Cruiser but PLEASE don't change the color! That "olive brown" or whatever the name is was made for a Land Cruiser and is one of my favorite colors....it has a tough, earthy look to it, just like a Cruiser should look. Go to any mall and blue cars of any model are a dime a dozen but I've never seen anything the color of your rig except another one. Oh, and no offense to those who like blue....to each his own, but I agree with the other guys on keeping it as is.

Pete

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom