FINALLY!! 5.3 Conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Have finally got my fj-62 to Atlanta Custom Creations for the conversion. It's an all aluminum 5.3 out of a Buick Rainier with zero miles. I'll keep posting pics of the process.
Landcruiser.jpg
Landcruiser with motor 1.jpg

Great Motor! FYI...change the oil pan to a shorter Camaro pan. You'll need the clearance for that tall motor. If not you'll only have about 1" from the diff flange to the oil pan. Also, not sure how your exhaust manifolds are set-up, but I use center dump shorty headers for ease of exhaust routing.

Hit me off list if you need any part numbers.

That will definatley be a mighty powerful rig when complete. Could this mean we may see you back on the trails some time soon Mr. Sapp? Maybe even as soon as the "Cruiser Crawl" in October? Hope to see you soon :beer:.

Mind if I ask how much is this swap going to be costing yah ???

Great Motor! FYI...change the oil pan to a shorter Camaro pan. You'll need the clearance for that tall motor. If not you'll only have about 1" from the diff flange to the oil pan. Also, not sure how your exhaust manifolds are set-up, but I use center dump shorty headers for ease of exhaust routing.

Hit me off list if you need any part numbers.

LCS what year or part number camaro oil pan would fit this engine...
I got mine all bolted up but have some concerns on the clearance with the driveshaft flange... Im thinking of swaping the flange or the oil pan.
Thanks for any info you might have...

Congrats on the swap eh...
What year engine are you putting in ? 2007/08.

Zero/nada miles.. Saaaweeeet !!!!!

The motor is from a 2004. It came off a Rainier that was totalled on the truck in route to the dealership. It's been sitting in a shop awaiting the conversion for three years. Just got it to ACC this past week and they have ordered some parts to get started. We already know about the oil pan issues and the manifolds. Any help from someone who has done this conversion will only speed up this process. The guys there seem knowledgable and excited about the process.
I don't know about the total expenses yet. When it's closer to being finished, I can give you a better picture. We had to order some stock parts that have "gotten lost" over the last few years such as transfer case :( I will continue to keep everyone posted.

The pan was swapped to the one that you see in the picture from the 4wd pan. We already clearenced it for the front axle but havent had a chance to reweld the pan yet. It looks like we will definetly have to use center dump headers of some kind but havent ordered any yet.

We finaly got the correct tranny mount after 3 tries so we should get the drivetrain in the truck shortly to begin fitting all the accesories.

The Crawl isin't out of the question but we still have to source A LOT of parts that we "misplaced" at the shop that we aquired the project from.

Updated pictures

Getting the motor mocked up. Headed in the right direction.
Landcruiser setting motor.JPG
landcruiser with motor in front.JPG
landcruiser motor top.JPG

Don't know if I'm spoiling the secret knowledge, but Jonathan's main guy Jim at TLC does a cut and turn on the stock exhaust manifolds to make them fit inside the frame rails. He uses welding rods made for the cast material... says he's been doing all of them that way and no issues. Or headers work too.

swap is WAAAY worth it, BTW.

Don't know if I'm spoiling the secret knowledge, but Jonathan's main guy Jim at TLC does a cut and turn on the stock exhaust manifolds to make them fit inside the frame rails. He uses welding rods made for the cast material... says he's been doing all of them that way and no issues. Or headers work too.

Thanks Philos1. We will be contacting them. They seem to have this conversion down.

I am excited about the extra HP and the improved fuel mileage. I live in rural Georgia and passing these log trucks on the back roads has always been an issue with this truck. Hopefully, I can make this my daily driver.

Brian got the exhaust pieced together today. They were able to use the manifolds that we had and cut and pieced the stock y pipe and cats together so that it looks factory.
landcruiser exhaust 5.JPG
landcruiser exhaust 4.JPG
landcruiser exhaust 1.JPG

I noticed it looks like the stock cross member is still in there how did everything line up. All the posts I've seen so far have a custom one built even when using the 4L60E. Just curious on measurements.

Looking good so far though. Are you planning on putting a skid plate on to protect the exhaust from getting smashed?

X2 on both questions!
Looks great so far.
Im getting the parts together to do this myself with virtually the same set up, so any info you can kick down...
Only diff being that Im gonna add an NP203, and my motor is an 04 with the cast block.
I cant wait!:clap::steer::bounce:

Chicago

Philos,
How does that work?
Hes using the stock chevy manifolds and customizing them?
You went with the ram horns didnt you?
How is the heat with those?

Chicago

Ram's horns work great, but they will not work on GENIII motors (Different heads) - basically, he cuts the stocker on one side (D-Side IIRC?) and then mocks it up and marks the collector/flange so that he knows where to weld/braze it back. He does the same for the Y-pipe. The cali refs never even notice it, and it's still technically all stock.

I think Manuchao used some from a late-model camaro or a vette or something that worked well and retained the cali emissions stuff.

the exhaust will tuck up in there a little tighter when it's finished. I know Brian and Michael went through three different crossmembers before they found one that would fit. If it's exposed too much we will fabricate a skid plate system to protect everything. Is not going to be a hardcore offroad machine but more like a daily driver with occasional hunting, camping, etc activities. Still don't want a rock or stump reaching up there and grabbing it if possible.

Joe, It's coming together nicely.

Ben, know where I can get some of that good sweet tea? Worth driving to Atlanta for a gallon of that stuff.

We have a few 1/2 gallons at the shop and one comes w/ every big job if you ask nicely.

Ben by the way we have a 60 hatch and tailgate here for you if you want it.

And yes we are going to make a skid plate to protect everything important.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom