Filling seams

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by fr8train, Sep 8, 2003.

1. fr8train

fr8train

Well I am doing a little more resto. work than planned with my project :p. I finished making the rear quaters and started to tack some other parts in. I know I am going to be using POR15 followed by a good coat of Herculiner(interior). Would this enough to seal the seams on the panels or would it be a good idea to just to use seam sealer from CCOT ::)? Thinking I could also just take the TIG and "drip" seal.

2. dd113

dd113

I use duraback as an undercoating under the tub. Works great and prevents rust. Hercuilner on the inside. Best stuff ever. I would buy 3M panel sealer from NAPA. Just get a caulk gun and go for it. Much cheaper then CCOT for better stuff.

3. woody

woody unhelpful spotter Staff Member Admin

Media:
    Albums:
    2nd vote for NAPA seam sealer. gooey junk that lasts forever.

4. 1Fine40

1Fine40 Rust Buster SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Does the NAPA/3M stuff get hard or does it stay pliable? Also does it take a coat of paint very well??

Thanks

5. cruiserhead

cruiserhead

POR15 also makes a seam sealer.Sealed all seams then painted POR15 on so far holding well.About $15 a tube though.

6. fr8train

fr8train

Thanks for the tips guys. Getting some very mixed reviews about POR15. I've used it for other things and had no issues. Dont know if a bad batch has gone out or what. Herculiner is def. going on the inside, interested to know if the 3M stuff will take a paint and if its pliable or not.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.