Fender Flare gasket repair/replacement tip (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just wanted to throw this out there for anyone who has installed the fender flare gaskets. They come with an adhesive strip that connects to the flare itself. When I first tried to attach the gasket, It was a little tricky. If the gasket is not placed low enough on the flare, it sticks out after attaching to the vehicle. Then, the adhesive is shot. I found that taking contact cement and spraying it on the flare, then reattaching the gasket not only allowed for placement, it was a lot easier to work with. My first worry was that it would not adhere correctly since the spray adhesive is meant to tack before applying. But after letting it sit for a week, I pulled it off to check and it was just as strong, or stronger than the original adhesive. It was so much easier, I would rather do that than use the adhesive that came with it. And the test piece I pulled off actually went right back together and was easy to place once again. Hope this helps. BTW, I used 3M 77 spray adhesive for the job.

Yeah, looked easy enough, but it is one of those things you have to do to understand. There is almost no "too low" since it will only go so far. Problem is getting the inside part as far down as you can and still flipping the edge over the outside of the flare, and sticking the adhesive strip all in one motion. The more you do, the easier it is, but that does not really help too much for the first time. That is what happened to me and why this fix works really well. If you screw up, no big deal. I got a 2 inch piece with the kit that gives you an idea of how to put it on correctly. It gives you an understanding of the fit, but you can't really get an idea of how it is to install untill you do a whole side. Start with the rear door flares first since they are the smaller ones. Also, start at the top of the flare and move down towards the undercarriage. Some kits provide an inch or so extra to cut off at the end, but some like the one I got :cautious: were all about a 1/4 inch short so I am glad the little missing bit is at the bottom of the flare where it is not visible.

Was this for OEM replacement gasket?

Probably not. I got it from someone that sold it as a kit. I think he buys it in bulk and cuts each one to size so I received 6 pieces.

Hi, Front flares are easily removed through hole in inner fender and removing the front Amber side lights. Two nuts and pry off with screw driver covered in tape . Mike

It isn't as bad as it looks. Problem is knowing how and being careful. Really careful. I have been slowly painting my truck so I have gotten so good at taking them off, it does not even phase me. There are simple tricks that you will have to learn the first time to find out where the bolts are, and which ones are bolts and which ones are the plastic panel plugs. Worse case though and you pull a flare off and the plastic plug breaks. 2 cent piece that has to be replaced. Would not be a bad idea to find out what those plugs are called and buy a few before hand so you are not left waiting. But if you are careful and have the panel tool, then you will be OK. I still have never broken one. Some of the bolts will be frozen or rusted. When replacing them, use a little grease so it is easier next time (if there ever is a next time).

There are four hidden bolts, two accessible from removing the corner light as stated, and two not as easy to get to from a hole inside the engine compartment right under the antenna on that side, and same hole on the other side. It is tricky, especially when you have moved the windshield washer well right there for a dual batt setup o_O. The one furthest down the fender next to the door is one of those plastic pegs (what are those called?) Just pull as much as you dare, then get in there with the panel tool and pop it off. The last two bolts are on the outside. One right under the corner light accessable from under the corner of the bumper, the other at the stepside. I don't remember where next to the door exactly, I took my stepsides off a while ago. But I think those are the more obvious bolts. After you get used to it and there are no rusted bolts, you can have it off in less than 5 minutes. The whole car in about 15.

Hi, Front flares are easily removed through hole in inner fender and removing the front Amber side lights. Two nuts and pry off with screw driver covered in tape . Mike

Easily? You must have small arms or are a contortionist :)

Ok, I do bruise my arms to get in there, but after doing it a bunch of times I just know exactly where to go.

Just a caveat: I am in Paris France right now and just passed a totally built 80 with 35's or bigger. They are everywhere!

I am working on this same project. Any chance you could post up a few pictures of how your strips are cut on the ends and where they end? I think i got the same "kit" from the guy but he just sent me one long strip not cut. Not muck of a "kit". Right now i am working on just the rear since they were broken from wheeling and needed repair.

I never did continue the work on the gaskets since I am selling this truck, so they still don't look great. Yeah, that "kit" was a little short. I would have preferred that it was all in one piece. Although he claimed each piece was a few inches long, all four were about an inch short so I don't really have a good end point to show you. But I will try and find some nice end points. But I really recommend using the hairspray. It made it so much easier to work with. But I suppose it would be worth a shot to try it without it the first time. I don't know how it would react with the existing adhesive. I only used it after I took it off to try again.
nsj6E

0epkIy9.jpg

YqQscdE.jpg

cnty0HN.jpg

NlCw8HP.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom