Builds Fedzilla's 2011 GX460 Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been lurking on this site for awhile now researching anything and everything GX. I was originally looking at finding a 470, but after reading about pros and cons and personal opinions I expanded my search to include the 460. I was lucky enough to drive a 470 and 460 back-to-back, ultimately solidifying my (and wife's) decision on the 460. I finally found my 2011 GX460 Black on Black with only 89k miles for a price I couldn't refuse. I'm the third owner, and it has an extensive Lexus service history. It's has had the common 460 issues repaired such as valley leak and water pump replaced.
Im really excited to start my build! The tires were a little more worn for my liking so I swapped them out for some Goodyear Wrangle take-offs in 255/70. The fill the wheel wells better for the time being. I plan on upgrading the wheels to TRD Pros with 285s in the very near future. Up first is the lift, and I'm leaning towards the Ironman Foam Cells.
20210126_145036.jpg

So i was literally just thinking of googleing the wrangler take-offs question since i have a set in my back shed (and i may be buying a GX this week). Thanks for answering a questioyn ou didn't know iw as asking!

So i was literally just thinking of googleing the wrangler take-offs question since i have a set in my back shed (and i may be buying a GX this week). Thanks for answering a questioyn ou didn't know iw as asking!
I've got the Goodyear Wrangler Kevlar and the spare is brand new. Just to let you know the spare doesn't fit in the spare tire well. Well it does sort of. I experimented and deflated down to 10psi and was able to "finesse" in there, but it was pressed against the swaybar. So I decided against it.

Congrat's on your new toy! Don't forget to post pic's of your build progress!

I've gotten a little work done in the past week. I upgraded all the interior lights to LED, Holy Cow are they BRIGHT! I'm now in the process of plastidipping all chrome black, fighting the weather here. I also ordered a RidgeRunner Swing-Away Tire Carrier from Detours of Maine, my first real Mod! He said it'll be about 12 weeks. I don't have any trips planned anytime soon, so I can wait. Hopefully I'll have my lift at least ordered by then. I've read some people having trouble contacting Detours, I recommend contacting via Facebook. He responded back to me within 5-10mins. I needed to take some measurements for him, and now the wait starts. I'll of course post pics when I receive it.

GXLED.jpg

Couple of questions regarding your LED's.
Are they too bright?
What's the K of the LED's? Are the above 5000k (blueish) or more towards the natural 3000-4900k?

Couple of questions regarding your LED's.
Are they too bright?
What's the K of the LED's? Are the above 5000k (blueish) or more towards the natural 3000-4900k?
and i'd liek to piggyback on this - can you quickly let us know which LEDs and how many for which part? i'm sure this information exists somewhere but if you happen to have it on hand that would be very helpful.

I got the SIRIUSLED 194s, pic below. They aren't too bright. If you are used to your interior lit up a certain way, then install these, yes they are immediately bright. But you'll get used to it quick. You'll need to buy 2 packs to take care of the upper interior lights, door lights, and running board lights.
My DRLs are 6500K and are very white. They do seem to flitter a bit as DRLs but are fine as high beams.
Sorry for the screenshots.

Screenshot_20210205-213048_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Screenshot_20210205-213936_Amazon Shopping.jpg

I'll definitely be following your build! Quick question...have you experienced any hyper-flash since installing the LED's?

A little more progress on the GX, I went ahead an plasti dipped the grill and the chrome on the rear door. Up next is the door handles, we'll see though, not sure how it will hold up, and I hate taping stuff off.

I was able to sell my Lincoln Navigator yesterday. So wife gave me the go-ahead to order my lift! I went and pre-ordered the Ironman Foam Cell Pros Stage 2, based on recommendations from what I've read and my budget. They should be in around 19Mar from what I read on their site. Also Ironman are offering free treads with purchase of a lift, so that was a nice bonus!
20210223_141938.jpg

20210212_154159.jpg

Reactions: r2m
Love you rig and cannot wait to get back to the States so I can buy mine and start with all the fun! I have also been trying to decide between the 470 and 460, but like you, I’m thinking it will be a 460. I like the little bit better MPG since I will be taking it on long road trips and it does add up before long. Now just need to figure if I want to go older or new body style. I know I will be happy with either, so it will just come down to what I can find when I am ready to buy. Before I know it, the end of June will be here and I will be landing in Baltimore and on my way to Little Rock!

I plastidipped the rear emblems and plate surround on mine a few months back more or less as a durability test and so far it has held up pretty well.

Now just need to figure if I want to go older or new body style

If you’re gonna replace the front bumper get the 2014+. If you’re gonna trim the factory bumpers get a 2010-2013. They are a few other small things like tail lens color (clear vs red) and headlights/fog lights to consider but mostly it’s the front bumper. Funny that I picked a 2010 because I liked the front bumper style better and it gave a little better clearance only to need to replace the bumper after a little slide on ice. Hah! At least I get to be a cool kid with a metal bumper. :D

Finally an update! I'm still waiting on my tire carrier and lift, which should hopefully come sometime next month. I was perusing facebook marketplace a couple days ago and came across a guy locally who was selling his set of 5 wheels/tires off his 4Runner. I went over checked them out, and we ended up talking yotas for about 45 mins.

Long story short I landed 5 Relations Race Wheels RR2-S 17X8.5 -12 wrapped in 285/70 BFG K02s (Load Range C) with 20k miles for only $1K. There is some rock rash on a couple of them, that i might get repaired as it doesn't look that bad, but for a grand doesn't bother me either. Now I just need my lift to get here so I can throw them on.

20210417_135445.jpg

20210417_135400.jpg

Finally an update! I'm still waiting on my tire carrier and lift, which should hopefully come sometime next month. I was perusing facebook marketplace a couple days ago and came across a guy locally who was selling his set of 5 wheels/tires off his 4Runner. I went over checked them out, and we ended up talking yotas for about 45 mins.

Long story short I landed 5 Relations Race Wheels RR2-S 17X8.5 -12 wrapped in 285/70 BFG K02s (Load Range C) with 20k miles for only $1K. There is some rock rash on a couple of them, that i might get repaired as it doesn't look that bad, but for a grand doesn't bother me either. Now I just need my lift to get here so I can throw them on.

View attachment 2648198

View attachment 2648200

Nice wheels and a good score. I wouldn't worry about the rock rash, you'll likely add more.

View attachment 2648198

View attachment 2648200
Did you get a chance to bolt one onto a front corner just to see how the size and offset was before laying down the coin?

Did you get a chance to bolt one onto a front corner just to see how the size and offset was before laying down the coin?
I've learned that you avoid front-of-wheel-well rubbing by buying a front bumper, and rear-wheel-well rubbing by buying sliders. ;p Everything can be solved for 800-1500 dollars! :lol:

No I haven't bolted one up yet. I was going to today but it's been pouring all day. These are actually the size and offset I was looking at getting anyway.

Reactions: r2m

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom