FAWKING MIND BOGGLING - HitR 2016 (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm still mentally there. And I've been back there twice since. But even in retrospect, this trip was a high point. But, I mean, I try and take the rest of life seriously, but it's hard impossible.

Right now, I'm a month behind on my "end of the year" corporate silliness. Likely, the year will end anyway. Lol. It's so superficial.

But honestly, this trip, with these people, will never happen again. Just the way it is. Other trips will happen though, they may be different or better.

Plotting spring 2021 with a Moto. :cool:

Very well said, Andy.

has the statute of limitations passed yet?

That’s one video I’ll never forget taking. I mean, I was just continually like “FAWK!”

Planning a trip here, thanks for all the pictures!
Legally, no. Ethically, you decide.

I'll say my peace again in this thread, the road to the water aka the Rincon Trail is CLOSED. The National Park Service (who currently has the sole authority on the route) removed it from their motorized travel map in 1979. They can and have ticketed groups at the shoreline and have marked the upper turnoff numerous times. Efforts are underway via the county (San Jaun), state and OHV access groups to get it back on an OHV/ROW map through the RS2477 legal challenge (which is still very active on a state level) and/or via a change in the resource management plan of the park itself. However those same same county, state and OHV groups ask that you respect the current law/regs and not trespass the road, it does nothing for our cause to pretend ignorance. Poaching the trail under the guise of a "super secret trail" may seem like a victimless crime to you, but come sit down as we meet with Federal Land Managers and various user groups and I can assure you not only is the impact noted, the user conflict and rogue attitude is also recorded. I'll be in land access meetings later this afternoon at the Salt Lake Off-road Expo with county, state and Federal Land Managers, as well as members of the UTV OHV community (U4WDA, UTMA, USXSA, etc), I'd invite any of you local to SLC (@mryanangel) as my guest. Come see how many and how much effort is being expended to protect, advocate and legitimize Utahs OHV routes against the constant threat of administrative closure, Wilderness designation, RMP closure, etc. If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

For the most in depth discussion on the issue you can read here:

You can read more on Mud here:
(Or the same discussion and my plea in this very thread)

Now, all that said. There is a case for running that trail, be loud and proud about it. Work WITH the county and access groups to bring what could be national attention to the trail and it's legal conflict via a protest ride. This has and will be happening more on contested routes with the exact circumstances as the Rincon Trail. I can't speak for San Juans position on protest rides as is never come up in my conversations with the commissioners there but other counties have protest rides led by the commissioners themselves. Hell, San Juan County commissioners made the news years ago going all over BLM roads and pulling the closed carsonite signs from the ground. They like the attention.
The NPS will be no help: they proposed a wilderness in the area of the historic Rincon road (see below). And in the future, if congress rejects/releases the area as wilderness, anti-access groups will say the road is unused and "reclaiming" because no one went on it for years, then NPS closes it permanently... :rolleyes: Looks like RS2477 is the only hope for legal access.

https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/FR-2021-01-15/pdf/2020-28464.pdf

Comment: Several commenters
requested that the NPS designate a
historic route in the Rincon Area
leading to Lake Powell as open to motor
vehicles. These commenters stated that
this route has a precedent of motor
vehicle use and is identified on several
area maps as the only method of
accessing the lake from the Hole in the
Rock trail.

NPS Response: The Rincon Road is
located within a proposed wilderness
area. The Wilderness Act prohibits the
use of motor vehicles in wilderness
areas. 16 U.S.C. 1133(c). The NPS
manages proposed wilderness areas in a
manner that preserves the wilderness
character and will not diminish the
eligibility of such areas for designation.

Maybe we could...explore for uranium per the original origins of the Rincon trail. In the name of national defense of course. That seems to be the only prayer against the nazi gang of enviro-commies. I'm all for wilderness protection, etc., etc., but that gang won't be happy until its all roped off. Everywhere. Just look at Pismo Beach (for starters)! The last bastion of coastal access for motorized vehicles on the entire 800+ mile Cali coast! They don't compromise.

I realize I'm preaching to the choir but just had to get it off my chest.

Maybe we could...explore for uranium per the original origins of the Rincon trail. In the name of national defense of course. That seems to be the only prayer against the nazi gang of enviro-commies. I'm all for wilderness protection, etc., etc., but that gang won't be happy until its all roped off. Everywhere. Just look at Pismo Beach (for starters)! The last bastion of coastal access for motorized vehicles on the entire 800+ mile Cali coast! They don't compromise.

you guys come visit me out here on the east coast and you will really see what happens when they start closing off trails. Here it's gate after gate. A lot of the times you set out on a trip that you have mapped out on GPS just to find yourself sleeping in a parking lot because everything is closed.

you guys come visit me out here on the east coast and you will really see what happens when they start closing off trails. Here it's gate after gate. A lot of the times you set out on a trip that you have mapped out on GPS just to find yourself sleeping in a parking lot because everything is closed.
Tellico…..

We got chased out of Gorges SP by the DNR who said we had no business camping on gamelands down by Horsepasture River. We knew we were in the right, but no cell service and no one had a Toxaway Game Land printed map on them to counter they're claim. Definitely not going back without the GOV map on us.

Planning a trip here, thanks for all the pictures!

The NPS will be no help: they proposed a wilderness in the area of the historic Rincon road (see below). And in the future, if congress rejects/releases the area as wilderness, anti-access groups will say the road is unused and "reclaiming" because no one went on it for years, then NPS closes it permanently... :rolleyes: Looks like RS2477 is the only hope for legal access.

https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/FR-2021-01-15/pdf/2020-28464.pdf

Comment: Several commenters
requested that the NPS designate a
historic route in the Rincon Area
leading to Lake Powell as open to motor
vehicles. These commenters stated that
this route has a precedent of motor
vehicle use and is identified on several
area maps as the only method of
accessing the lake from the Hole in the
Rock trail.

Very aware they will be of no help. One or more of those referenced comments requesting Rincon be re-opened, belong to myself and some of the .orgs I represent (ExpeditionUtah, U4WDA, etc). RS2477 and the courts are the only hope. Rogue use will only dig the NPS and opposition in deeper in my opinion.

That method has been tried and in some cases with great results in other areas. I have a few good friends that have staked hundreds of mine claims here in Utah, often to preserve access. I'm part of a group that purchased a historic mine claim near the top of American Fork Canyon in Northern Utah to preserve our 4x4 access indefinitely.

Sadly, mineral entry (claims) are no longer accepted in the area of the Rincon.

so if we were to explore for uranium there, would i need to offset my caster more than 3 degrees?
you will need to order a few more parts from Witts End and continue to wait for them......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom