Fan clutch rusted, frozen to the pulley (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hi, I am doing tb and wp on my lx. I was able to remove the 4 nuts on the back of the clutch without much difficulty. However, I was still unable to pull the clutch. I guess the blue plate is rusted real bad and it got frozen to the pulley on the bracket.

I am wondering what my optons are? Dreamel the clutch off?

Use a brass drift punch and tap around the edge of the plate where the two components meet. It is a tight fit and can take a few rotations of tapping, but it will come off.

I tapped with a cold chiesel to no avail. Will a brass drift punch make a lot of difference?

A cold chisel should definitely do it. I used one as well, but slightly deformed the mating surface, hence the recommendation for brass.

I do recall tapping for what seemed like forever before making progress. 12 and 6, 3 and 9 and so on before seeing the slightest gap begin to form.

A cold chisel should definitely do it. I used one as well, but slightly deformed the mating surface, hence the recommendation for brass.

I do recall tapping for what seemed like forever before making progress. 12 and 6, 3 and 9 and so on before seeing the slightest gap begin to form.

I kept tapping and was able to make a gap between the blue plate and the pulley(can be felt with my finger nail) and I was even able to twist the fan clutch slightly. So the pulley is not holding the clutch any more. However, I was still not able to pull the clutch, it seems to be held by the 4 studs. Now what to do?

Open the gap by tapping around in a rotation. Insert a pry bar and apply reasonable persuasion if necessary, again in rotation. It will come off.

Use some penetrating spray, let it soak between the two, then try again.

With it being that rusted, how many miles on your engine and in what shape is the bearings in your fan bracket? You might want to add fan bracket to your list if you are in there with higher miles. Also what shape is your fan clutch in? The nuts that have the fan clutch held to the fan bracket are flanged. On mine the ridges were worn flat. Blue locktite is a good idea when reinstalling these. Apply a little anti seize on the mating surfaces for ease of removal next time.

With it being that rusted, how many miles on your engine and in what shape is the bearings in your fan bracket? You might want to add fan bracket to your list if you are in there with higher miles. Also what shape is your fan clutch in? The nuts that have the fan clutch held to the fan bracket are flanged. On mine the ridges were worn flat. Blue locktite is a good idea when reinstalling these. Apply a little anti seize on the mating surfaces for ease of removal next time.

I got the truck recently and overall the truck is in good shape. But the previous owner was using some generic blue coolant for who knows how many years so that might be the reason why the fan bracket pulley(or studs) are so rusted. WIll definatly inspect the bracket when I have it off.

I was inspired to check the price of the fan bracket and saw the assembly diagram which makes me believe it is the central shaft not the 4 studs holding the clutch frozen. I just came up with this idea: can I directy take off the fan bracket with the clutch still in place? From the picture it looks like all fasteners are accessable, no?

Last edited:
I assume you could do it that way. Probably would have to remove the radiator to have enough room to maneuver the whole unit out. I think the weight of it hanging on the bolts as its almost out would also present a challenge. If it were me I would just keep working it around as stated above. Try grabbing it and wiggleing the fan clutch back and forth as well. You could also use a little heat via mapp gas which might help.

Don't forget to check your idler bearings, tensioner and fan clutch as well.

thank you all for the suggestions. I took the entire fan bracket off together with the clutch, all fasteners are accessable. And I was able to do the timing belt, water pump, seals tensioner etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom