Fan clutch advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’ve searched the forum for this to no avail So forgive me if I missed it. My fan bracket gave out a few years ago (ironically passing the Toyota dealership) on the interstate so I had it replaced. Think they charged me $700 for the job 😳. Serpentine belt broke as a result.
Now the fan makes a racket when running and the noise continues for a few seconds after I switch off the ignition. I can see the fan rotating after the engine is off and is the culprit of the noise. The fan clutch is separate from the fan bracket correct? Are there bearings in the fan clutch? LX470 - 270k. Bracket replaced at 200k

Yes sir. Fan clutch is the silver, vaned part that’s actually mated to the fan itself. I just did mine a month or so ago, I think it was a total of maybe 8 nuts and bolts, throw the new one in, good to go. Think the part was $100 or something, very easy to DIY if you’re so inclined.

Could also present an overheat-at-idle symptom, in case you start seeing that crop up.

Use Aisin or OEm. I used an aftermarket on my 4runner and that thing was engaged at all times and too loud!

Thanks gentlemen. Are there bearings in this fan?
There are in the fan clutch, but they’re sealed (unsure if that’s the correct terminology, but they’re built into the part itself) so you don’t need to worry about servicing or anything like that. Someone might be able to correct me, but I don’t recall them being easily accessible.

I’m on my phone otherwise I’d link it FOR you, but there are plenty of threads on here with good overviews of how you can gauge the condition of those bearings if you’re curious. I’d just throw an Aisin part in it and sit on another 100K low-stress miles, but no preaching intended.

Good luck!

Do yourself the favor of buying new nuts to attach it. The stock ones may be a bit soft after so many miles/years and they round off pretty easily.

They should be 90029-07010, but check with your favorite source

Do yourself the favor of buying new nuts to attach it. The stock ones may be a bit soft after so many miles/years and they round off pretty easily.

Sage advice. 👍 Not the type of thing you want to find on the road with a hot engine.

The serrated part of the flange nut lost its ability to bite into the new clutch surface when I changed mine.

1617617700916.png

saucebox said:

Sage advice. 👍 Not the type of thing you want to find on the road with a hot engine.

The serrated part of the flange nut lost its ability to bite into the new clutch surface when I changed mine.

Is it 4 nuts needed?

Would a failing fan clutch make noise if it's going bad? Chasing a noise and most every other pulley has been changed at this point

Would a failing fan clutch make noise if it's going bad? Chasing a noise and most every other pulley has been changed at this point

It's more likely to be the bracket the fan clutch attaches to. Search the forum by "fan clutch bracket" and you'll see comparisons to the noise they can make.

That's been replaced with new Aisin bracket so unsure of what else it could be. Did timing belt/water pump over the wknd with all new pulleys too. I'm at a loss...

with that many miles on the truck you may want to change the fan as well since its plastic and and can get brittle with age

That's been replaced with new Aisin bracket so unsure of what else it could be. Did timing belt/water pump over the wknd with all new pulleys too. I'm at a loss...

Have you pulled the serpentine belt and then run the engine to attempt to isolate the noise?

Great advice. I should go back and replace mine actually. One or two rounds of the "jam the screwdriver between two and wrench on another" method increases the importance of this one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom