Failed motor mounts - URJ200 - Anyone had it happen? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
cruiseroutfitters.com
We've been through quite a few in the Canguro Racing 200 Series, to the point we eventually went to hard mounts for the engine and transmission mount.

BUT, how many other failed engine mounts have you experienced or seen?

Maybe add a poll to the thread?

No issues with my 2013 at 87k miles

Also seems like a good question for a tundra board.

Only car I've ever had an engine mount fail on was my 993. Spit out nasty black fluid all over the catalytic converters. LC, tundra, tacoma, 4runners, toyota trucks, have all been fine throughout my entire ownership period.

How does a failed motor mount manifest itself in the 200 series?

A "thud" you can feel through your feet and/or steering wheel when you jam on the accelerator pedal and major movement out of the engine, it will "lift" a couple of inches when you power brake.

So I'm 100% certain I've got a broken drivers side mount. FSM calls for removing the entire engine to swap :eek: I'm hoping we can sneak it in and out without getting too deep.

Play hard, repair hard? :D

Ouch! Was there a particular event that you think caused it to go out? Or just wear/tear from driving her hard?

Ouch! Was there a particular event that you think caused it to go out? Or just wear/tear from driving her hard?

I was flogging it exceptionally hard in between pits at the King of the Hammers event last month. there were a few really hard hits and I'm assuming that may have been the straw that broke the camel's back.

Confirmed, broken drivers side motor mount. I have no doubts the break is result of the way I drive :D

FSM calls for removing the motor (~18 hours :eek: ). On a dare I went through the wheel well, removed a bunch of stuff, raised the motor, lowered the front diff and was able to sneak it out. I'll post a pic of the failed mount tomorrow.

Failed mount...

Think its it's bad? :D

I've seen it on the baja and MDR race trucks.. I think it's from the heat.

I've seen it on the baja and MDR race trucks.. I think it's from the heat.

You have seen a lot of failed motor mounts on 200 series race applications?

No .. just failed motor mounts.

No .. just failed motor mounts.

Gotcha. The 200 ones don't get that much heat, there is a manifold heat shield and even after running for a bit you can touch the mount. Given it's always the drivers side (lift side) that fails, I think it's most attributed to the torque. The passenger side (compression) fails less in my admittedly limited experience with them failing. Both are identical proximity to block/manifold. It will be interesting to see if/how they fail in the future as more and more get higher miles and more severe use.

another part for the maintenance schedule...
it's amazing what can come apart in an offroad race.

Solid motor mounts on the Canguro 200 FWIW

20180620_195228.jpg

Bump.

My driver side mount failed. I'm going to replace all 3 mounts, any other tips than lowering the diff?
How many miles? And how did you know it had failed?

About 230k. Previous owner had never locked the center diff. The last 25k have not been the easiest of miles though.

I started feeling a nice thud on acceleration. On further review, power braking lets the driver side of the motor move up a couple inches.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom