factory windshield (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone know if its possible to order a toyota factory windshield possibly with the "made in japan" sticker? I was told it would have to be imported from japan. Thanks! Scott

97fj80 said:
Anyone know if its possible to order a toyota factory windshield possibly with the "made in japan" sticker? I was told it would have to be imported from japan. Thanks! Scott

To clarify, do you want it to say "made in japan" for any other reason then to know you got what you paid for? Asking as your post isnt clear.

FFIW - When I needed to get a new one, I think I looked into factory glass and it was silly $$. I got a very nice one from PPG and have been pleased. At the time, I was warned by others to make sure the installers use plenty of window sealant when putting it in. I bet a search on "windshield" in the 80's sections would yield more then you care to know .

you can get it through your dealer --

-- when i had geico replace the glass on my 91 and 94, i spec'd toyota glass and seals, and the charming guys at the glass place put up a fight, and finally ordered it --

-- it had the sticker on it, and i took it off --

:D

e

Good advice there!

"Better listen to him, Flounder. He's an upperclassman.!

Very important.

Regardless of the glass you choose, make certain it is installed per the Factory Service Manual instructions. Sealant is used both between the gasket and glass, and the gasket and vehicle. If not done this way...you may expect a leak.

Ditto that. I just had my window replaced and a small rust spot by the seal fixed and painted. I specifically told them how to install the new windshield and they still f(*&ed it up. I just picked the Cruiser up from the shop after they washed it and there was already a puddle in the floor :mad: . Leaving for a fishing trip Friday, so I had to take it like that, but I already have an appointment for them to re-do next week. They will have the pages from the FSM to reference this time. Dirty Rat Bastards.

Steve

C6H12O6 said:
Ditto that. I just had my window replaced and a small rust spot by the seal fixed and painted. I specifically told them how to install the new windshield and they still f(*&ed it up. I just picked the Cruiser up from the shop after they washed it and there was already a puddle in the floor :mad: . Leaving for a fishing trip Friday, so I had to take it like that, but I already have an appointment for them to re-do next week. They will have the pages from the FSM to reference this time. Dirty Rat Bastards.

Steve

I brought mine with me and told them how to install ..... they were annoyed with me at first, but I brought cold barley-pops with me as well and that helped ease thier attitudes ;)

When I had mine done, (BTW lexus uses a bronze tinting), the installer looked up the installation proceedure, (has some software), before I got there with the manual in hand. Told me the @@#%$# dealer he got the glass from neglected to send the gasket. The dealer said something about a glass shop wouldn't know how to put in a Lexus windshield. The Ahole did not send the gasket on purpose, even though he knew it would be needed, just had to f things up. Had to bring it back the next day. Also a specific sealant is to be used. Not what is normally used IIRC.
Cheers,
Sean

I had a PPG w/s put in 9 months ago, which was a step up from the ordinary cheap crap the every day glass places will try to install. I like it because of the blue tint band, also. Anyhow, it seems to have micropitted more readily than some other w/s's I've had over the years.

Ironically, I'm installing a clear film on this PPG w/s tomorrow or Friday to test this new "unbreakable" film for abrasion durability so the micropitting will likely be invisible now. I agree with the comments on the adhesive. Everyone seems to screw this up as the w/s is supposed to have sealant on both the body and the rubber seal and this makes it tougher for the installers. Years ago, this was not done and the w/s made a "scritchy" sound over certain bumps for years before I figured it out. The gasket can sometimes be reused, but if you're picky enough to pay for a Toyota glass, get a new gasket as well since they're relatively cheap.

DougM

Hi Doug - am curious about this invisible film you are going to install on your glass? I've never heard of such a product, but sounds like a great idea if it works! My concern is that being a film , that it would possibly obscure your vision and might yellow or fog up over time. Have you seen or heard of anyone using such a product? - Tim

C6H12O6 said:

Steve

Steve - Frustrating isn't it!!!! - have had my LX back to the glass shop 3 times after new windshield installed with leak problems in both lower corners of windshield. Obviously they didn't seal it properly so I bought a tube of black automotive rubber sealant and did it myself. I masked off all around windshield rubber on both where rubber meets metal body and rubber to glass. I left about a 1/4'' space all around and ran a nice bead of silicone around the seal ,
smoothed it out with my finger and removed the tape. Turned out great! - have never had a leak problem since. Just wish these ''so called professional'' glass installers would know how to do it right!! - Tim

Just curious, how much is the "Made in Japan" replacement glass? Ball park price is what I am looking for. My windshield is pitted and has a small crack, which I doubt will pass inspection next month.
thx

Im getting mine replaced two days from now. They are going to use PPG, factory seal and urethane.

I just ordered a FSM this afternoon, but doubt it will be here before the glass repair. Does anyone know if I can get the directions online to make sure the "Glass Monkeys" don't screw it up?

THANKS!!!!!!:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom