Factory tube tire carrier capacity? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've owned several fj40s (all 77-78s), and none of em have ever had the factory rear tire carrier.

I've heard they rattle, but my question is how much weight, and how wide a tire can they hold?

My 35 MTRs are on alloys so they're not too heavy, but they're wide.

My winter pizza cutters are not wide but are on steel rims and quite heavy.

Will the carrier hold up? Or should I fab somethin or buy aftermarket?

If it helps, I am running 34X10.5 LTBs on my stock tube carrier. I would think 35's would be no problem but you will have to put some kind of spacer on the studs to pull it away from the body on a wider tire than 10.5s.. mine barely makes it as it is. As far as weight, my tire with a steel 15X8 wheel weighs quite a bit.. I also have an axe and shovel kit and my liscence plate mounted on the studs, so I would say it would carry over 100 lbs. my carrier kind of flexxes and makes some interesting noises when it hammers a pretty good bump on the road. Also with the my 34s (and definitely w 35s) the carrier will only swing 90 degrees from the closed position because the tire hits the body and wont go any farther. It makes loading stuff a pain sometimes, because the amby door will only go about 90 degrees as well b/c of it.

Mike

I have a '76 that I put a '77 tube tire carrier on. I have 35 x 12.5" mtr's and steel wheels and no rattles, snug as a bug.
I replaced all of the bushings before I put the 35's on though. Also, no spacer is needed, if the backspacing is correct on your wheel, it will fit perfect.

I have a 33 12.5 on my 78, with steel rim. It fits tight on the sidewall when the lugs are tightened down but works fine. The 33 comes right to the edge of the body. Any larger and the tire will be past the body edge. Nice place to hit things when on the trail.

the carrier isn't the problem...it's the body that the carrier is attached to.

[quote author=nuclearlemon link=board=1;threadid=9422;start=msg82912#msg82912 date=1072922626]
the carrier isn't the problem...it's the body that the carrier is attached to.
[/quote]

Would a reinforcing plate on the inside be enough or are we talking about major bracing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom