Fabricating my own tow bar question. (pulling cruiser) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Lemoore, CA (south of Fresno) / Cortes Island, B.C
I am planning on doing a bit of towing (3 hours or so) and will be making my tow bar for the cruiser. (Towing my cruiser behind my truck) Anyone have an idea about how long I should make the tow bar? 3' maybe. It will be a swing up or down basic V bar with a hitch coupler on the end and some type of quick release mounts on my cruiser bumper. Easy job, just need lenght.

Or can someone measure thiers for me? Thanks.

i did a search awhile back on-line and found a couple plans, but i really have no idea.

sorry

3 to 4' will be fine..

You can probably figure out exactly how big this is just from the pictures. 1.3x or 1.5x the distance between the frame rails. Feel free to steal the design. It works great. The frame or bumper will break before the towbar or mounts. I'd drill the brackets where the smaller pins go through so that the towbar leans back towards the hood. As it is it sticks straight up and I don't much like the look of it. I always remove it anyway.

The large pins are a machine-shop tight fit. It's good in that there are no rattles, but bad because unless everything is very clean and freshly greased you have to use a hammer to install or remove the big pins.

Since these pics were taken I've got proper bumper gussets and the chains now cross to the tow hooks with retainer clips to keep the chain in place if they ever came into play. The chains follow the sides of the bar and are attached with tie wraps.

I wired a hidden socket on the front right side between bumper and frame rail, down the frame to some really small LED trailer lights that are mounted with double-sided tape just above the reverse lights. They draw almost no power, so they don't effect the truck's lights. You can hardly see them and I didn't have to muck about with my factory wiring. When towing at night I turn on the parking lights in the cruiser too.
towbar5.jpg
towbar6.jpg

Last edited:
I sold you that one eddie. It was too short for what I wanted to do b/c I want to put down my tail gate. And I wanted it do be a bit more stout. How do you like that one?

I sold you that one eddie. It was too short for what I wanted to do b/c I want to put down my tail gate. And I wanted it do be a bit more stout. How do you like that one?

That was my first thought, but I recently had to clean out my PMs, so I didn't have the original discussion, only your real name from the paypal receipt, and I didn't want to post that. :eek:

It works great for me. You want it more stout than this? I want to see it.

Ever hang out with D'Animal? He lives on the other side of Visalia. Good guy, and I hear he has his own rock park.

That was my first thought, but I recently had to clean out my PMs, so I didn't have the original discussion, only your real name from the paypal receipt, and I didn't want to post that. :eek:

It works great for me. You want it more stout than this? I want to see it.

Ever hang out with D'Animal? He lives on the other side of Visalia. Good guy, and I hear he has his own rock park.

Nope don't know him but some of my club guys might.

I have six or eight of these in various forms in my yard/shop here in Tx, if anybody wants one. I'll sell at a nuisance fee only...cheap!

here's an example. not too pretty in the pic but it got me across the continent.

truckpic13lbr7.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom