F250 mounts - clearance? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

PabloCruise

SILVER Star
Threads
Can I keep my radiator overflow and windsheild washer tank in place and still use the full F250 mount on the passenger side?

I know I'll have to trim the inner fender - no problem there, just want to keep washer and rad tank in place if possible...

Vehicle in question is '78 FJ40.

TIA,
-903F.JPG

I'll get you a pic as soon as I get home....I have a '78 FJ40 with the F250 mounts and I kept my overflow/washer. My axle is pushed forward a little so it isn't exact but you can see how it fit...

treerootCO said:
I'll get you a pic as soon as I get home....I have a '78 FJ40 with the F250 mounts and I kept my overflow/washer. My axle is pushed forward a little so it isn't exact but you can see how it fit...

Thanks a lot! I didn't know you have a '78! I saw the one you drove to the RS meeting once...

Axle forward should still tell me what I need to know, as that rad tank is pretty far forward.
F250-mount.jpg

It fits but I might rethink the mounting because it looks like it may rub through if I leave it that way. If you added 3/4 - 1" spacers on the mount I think it would be perfect. You can see in the 1st pic the bottom bolt is missing because the bottle is resting on the shock.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

More set up

Move the ground strap...

It was hard to trim the fender apron. At first I just trimmed enough to mount the shock mount. I neglected to realize that I would need space to get the upper eye bolt in and out of the shock mount!

:doh:

You can see I barely clear the bottom mounting hardware for the washer and coolant reservoir frame...
MVC-870F.JPG
MVC-873F.JPG
PS-shock-mount.jpg

How do the Ford shock towers line up with everything if you have flipped the front springs around? I'm guessing it would work just fine, based on the pics I saw. But I just want to make sure.

I don't know if I could live with myself.... putting a ford part on my cruiser!!!!! Just as bad as putting a Heep part on your yota!!!

later
Ryan

Damn I wish I'd a known about this before I spent all afternoon at Ian's banging off & polishing up my stock towers about to be shimmed.. . .. :mad: then he tells me. :flipoff2: :lol:

Ok, I'll start searching again.. :flipoff2: never mind the po ;)

edit: what's the best way to cut the fenders?

I did the F250 towers mod a few months ago. The axle is in the stock location and I'm running 3.5 inch backspaced wagon wheels with 35x12.5x15 tires. When aired down to 20 lbs, the tire rubs the shock can pretty badly. Did I miss something on this mod? Any ideas other than cut and straighten the 250 towers?

Thanks

I did some measuring on the F250 mounts to take a look at clearing the washer bottle...

14 inches tall and they reach out from the frame rail just about exactly 4 inches at the center of the eyelet

I ordered Ford Part Number : E5TZ-18183-A. Said it was for an 80 F250. Trouble is, they are hard to come by now and I'll have to wait a week.

Can you confirm that's the same part you used?

this picture:
attachment.php

Is exactly the info I need to go ahead and order my shocks and get them here in time to continue my build.

TIA

I've got a set of the shock towers. If you need them let me know. I'm going to make a custom set after seeing Don's Project DOA shock mounts. PM me if you need them. Eric

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom