F135 Progress (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I noticed today that my carb is overflowing and dribbling into the manifold. It didn't do this before I rebuilt me engine. What would cause this besides an obvious float adjustment problem?

I would guess that the carb wants to take a trip to sunny socal and visit marks shop :)

I noticed today that my carb is overflowing and dribbling into the manifold. It didn't do this before I rebuilt me engine. What would cause this besides an obvious float adjustment problem?

During the disassembly and reassembly process, something probably dislodged internally in one of your fuel lines and is currently stuck between the needle and the seat, not letting the needle close.

If you pull the plug off the top of the carb [over the inlet] you can see if something is stuck in there.

Best

Mark A.

I fixed the carb last night I just had to readjust the float, i think my old fuel hose was a little pinched and when I replaced it i think it straightened it out and the float level became off, that is what I'm guessing happened. All i have left is a final check on all the bolts to check for tightness, then it's off to the woods for some fun.

do the locks on the flywheel bolts need to be bent up or is it not really necessary?

oh boy, flywheel bolt locks? anyone got a pic. I just replaced the clutch in my 55 behind the F and did not notice any such locks. Im looking through flywheel/clutch threads now but dont see any "locks". I was following the guidance of a chiltons manual (i know, i know) and did not read of this either.

EDIT ok so i guess i found it in the FAQ of all places.... the tabs were for an F clutch (three finger style) and i just put a 2f clutch in instead to match the existing flywheel. Sure wish id read about the liquid sealant tip before though:bang:

Last edited:
its basically 1/3 of a circle where two bolts go through on each plate. after the bolts are torqued you bend the ears up and it locks the bolts from spinning loose.

here are some pictures of my reinstalled 67' F135. Long live the I-6. Yes I know i have an exhaust leak at the downpipe. It's such a bitch to get to and the 40 year old bolts don't make it any easier to tighten.
IMG_0524.jpg
IMG_0525.jpg
IMG_0526.jpg

Do you think those oil filter hoses will handle the pressure? ;)

That is an interesting looking oil filter bracket, is that stock or is it what is left of the old replacable element "cleaner" style filter. My 67 didn't even have a filter on it when I got it... PO didn't think it was worth messing with I guess.

the hoses seem to be working fine, I had my local napa make them for me. the stock oil filter was the cannister style with the element that you changed. Mine is an upgraded style to replace the old. It had it on it when I bought it but i do have the cannister style still in a box of parts.

My wife an I took the 40 on a 20miles trip on backroads and it performed pretty well but there is a tiny stutter that makes it lurch at about 3/8 throttle. I think its my carb needing some more attention. Other than that it ran great, i will readjust my valves and tweak my carb a little bit then it should be good to go.

Couple of things to keep in mind..
The old metal fan blades if not in good shape(rusty/cracked) can break and wreak havoc but don't flex during water crossings.. Some put the plastic fans on as a precaution against shrapnel..
Couldn't tell if the block had new freeze plugs or not, if they boiled the block out and didn't remove them watch for leaks. I used aftermarket freezeplugs on my f motor teardown years ago and the one on the back of the block blew out... there's a hole in my firewall behind the heater now..
If the mechanical linkage gives you trouble it is pretty easy to replace it with a cable style.. some like the old mechanical better.
Happy cruisin!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom