F head swap options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I have a 9/72 FJ40 with the original motor, minus the smog and air-rail stuff. No mods other than that. I have a line on a rebuilt head from a '68 F, and I want to be sure it would work. I don't know if there is some incompatibility due to open vs. closed combustion chambers (mostly cause I have no idea what this means), and flat vs. domed pistons (I can understand this concept, I'm a zoologist, not an idiot). I checked the info on the FAQ and found alot about putting a F head on a 2F block, but couldn't decipher the unique properties of the '73 motor. Fourth FJ40 I've had, first one with an F motor, all others were 2F. And as long as I'm asking, what's the deal with a vacuum retard dizzy? Can I just disconnect the line and go on mechanical advance alone? Thanks in advance.

This is what I'm considering getting:

attachment.php

attachment.php

100_2458.jpg
100_2459.jpg

Yeah, saw those posts in the FAQ and I've been re-reading them for days. The second one has to do with 3F and 3FE heads. Pretty sure that's none of my business. The other one says (quoting Mark W.):
"Pre '68 F engines used siamesed exhaust ports and a deep "bathtub" style combustion chamber. They're pretty much on their own so far as interchanginf anything.

From then until '72 the F engine used a flattop piston and a closed combustion chamber.
'73 and '74 F engines used an open combustion chamber and a very small dome on the piston."

So am I right to assume a '68 head with a closed chamber for use with flat pistons will not work with a '73 block with "a very small dome on the piston."?

Or should I just quit being stupid and swap the heads and see if stuff fits?

I think you should be good with that head. And sorry about the no-help links:doh: I thought sure that one of them would have the JimC post about casting numbers and which ones go with which pistons/blocks. That head should have the same oiling system as your old one.

GL

Ed

You know what, I think I'm gonna give it a try. If it doesn't work out I'll have the original head off any way and will just have to move up the rebuild date on that. It's not like I can't find other things to work on while it's out of commision.:)

Ed, thanks for your help. I'll go look for that JimC post on the casting #'s. Might still be interesting.

color coordinated

Whats up with the red intake valve stem seals?
100_2459 copy.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom