External Ignition Resistors Smoke (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am getting smoke out of the external Ignition Resistor when the key is in the on position. I had disconnected the wires to clean up the fender and install the upgraded starter. All the wire looks as it was before but now after a minute with the key in the on position, the resistor starts to smoke and get hot. Normal?!?

Thanks in advance,
Jerry

it will get warm/hot as it is taking 12V down to 9V?
did something get on the coils when removed?
it shouldn't smoke unless something is on the heated coiled wire

How many times did it happen? If the distributor point are closed and rotor is on a plug key left on it is running a continuous circuit. Smoke is not a good thing.

I am getting smoke out of the external Ignition Resistor when the key is in the on position. I had disconnected the wires to clean up the fender and install the upgraded starter. All the wire looks as it was before but now after a minute with the key in the on position, the resistor starts to smoke and get hot. Normal?!?

Thanks in advance,
Jerry

I WILL suggest your new issue with the smoking ballast resister is directly related to your new starter you installed …

Infact …

Your old starter was the size of a LOAF of BREAD 🥖

Your new starter is much much smaller in size and weight too

Hence ..

When you connected back up the smaller guage black wire w/ the white tracer stripe …

To your new smaller size spec. Starter …

You were not aware you no longer need the small guage wire , but have hooked it up to the new starter …

Am I correct here ?

Please let me know , if so ?

I can assist you to correct this topic …

Thanks
Matt

A pic of the wiring you worked on would help.

I will send a picture when I get home tomorrow. When I wired the new starter, I did not change anything. In fact, there was one wire I didn't use that was on the old starter. This is more than likely the problem.

I WILL suggest your new issue with the smoking ballast resister is directly related to your new starter you installed …

Infact …

Hence ..

When you connected back up the smaller guage black wire w/ the white tracer stripe …

You were not aware you no longer need the small guage wire , but have hooked it up to the new starter …

Am I correct here ?

Thanks
Matt

I thought the ballast resistor was for the coil after the engine started??
or would only have power thru it in the on or run position of the ignition switch

let me back up , for a second please ........

- did you source and install a :

- Pre-Owned starter of some kind ?

- or

- AFTERMARKET ( Rock Auto type Aftermarket ) unit ?

- NEW Toyota Dealer sourced starter ?

- a Gear Reduction unit ?

- or

- older LOAF OF BREAD SIZE Spec. Starter ?

this is a 2 part question with a double YES answer ......fyi

you follow me here on this key point ? 🤔

- thanks for taking the time to post all the relevant facts , this way i can better help you , help yourself on this TECH topic :)

if not i can explain in a different way ....

matt

I thought the ballast resistor was for the coil after the engine started??
or would only have power thru it in the on or run position of the ignition switch

ill get to that topic Paul ,

but its KEY here to actually know the EXACT style and Type of Starter he installed here that cause this ......

i have run across this topic and issue more times then i can count , on ALL toyota vehicals wwheil working at the dealership level , and there are more then 1 POSSIBLE cause directly related to the various starters installed

remember Paul ,

the LAND CRUISER was NOT the ONLY TOYOTA Vehicle platform , that was updated to gear reduction unit from the older LOAF of BREAD size Spec. single reduction direct drive DENSO-Dinosaurs ..........

- this created a problem because the aftermarket world was FULLY stocked with Remanufactured LOAFS OF BREAD units from BECK , LUCAS , REMY and so on ,

however ,

NO gear-reduction units YET , too new to have ones ENTER the Aftermarket CORES intake system ........

NAPA

Western AUTO

these were the DAYS BEFORE AUTO ZONE and Advance auto parts

long long before rock auto and before the internet at all really ...........

The starter that I installed was ..
Toyota 28100-60070-84

I believe it is the gear reduction starter from the FJ60.

I will send pictures tonight.

Jerry

Infact …

Hence ..

Am I correct here ?

Thanks
Matt
Here are the pictures of the ignition coil/ resistor and the new starter. Any help would be much appreciated.

PXL_20221106_015700468.jpg

PXL_20221106_015639640.jpg

Here are the pictures of the ignition coil/ resistor and the new starter. Any help would be much appreciated.

View attachment 3160477

View attachment 3160478

it's VERY hard to tell here in your pics ?

- i have MORE questions then answers at this initial point 🤔

- Lets start at the BASICS please

- What color coded Tracer Stripe is the SMALL black wire with the STRIPE on it you attached to the starter along with the larger battrey cable ?

- Black w/ YELLOW tracer stripe ?

or

- Black w/ WHITE tracer stripe ?

- use a clean cloth to wipe off wire and also peal back like 2 inches of the electrical tape to expose FRESH YOUNG TENDER LIKE NEW tracer stripe wire please

- WHERE exactly was this smaller wire u have NOW inserted INTO the BLACK PLASTIC MALE Connector housing on the NEW starter

-
take your time and make darn sure u remember the correct original location please

-
WAS there a 3rd small wire on and attached to the OLD starter ?

- do u have any GOOD close up photos of your OLD starter all hooked up prior to removinmg ALL the wired and battery cable , ??

- if so ? POST them ALL here please below ..........

- you have NOT stated in your opening thread post comments , your modle year , make , and if you even have a land cruiser or other vintage toyota of any kind ?

- WHEN EVER you post in the TECH forums please always remember to identify your said vehicle particulars , its very important you give us all the information we need so we can help you help yourself .........

- also , please do NOT refer to your TOYOTA as a FJ please , that's a confusing generalization term , that can get you in alot of trouble with the OFFICAL MUD Bezel POLICE .. so enough said there on all that ......

- i this ( assuming its a 40 series Land Cruiser ) , a IMPORTED one from south America by chance ?

- the SOLID red wire attached to the BOTTOM terminal of your Ballast resister along with the black wire w / YELLOW tracer stripe .....
WHER does this SOLID red wire GO when it leaves the BOTTOM ballast resister stud / bolt ?

please follow it ALL the way to its FINAL end destination and photo graph it please , and NOTE the tyread post you WILL be making exactly where it finally goes as well please

- ok those are STEP by STEPs FSM based T-TEN marching orders , please carefully start at the top take your time and reply back and or preform them one at at time in the order there posted above Please

this is how it's done , in a confirm and verify way , that as of now does NOT cost you a dime , so take make the time , and you WILL be fine ...... :)

matt

Last edited:
it's VERY hard to tell here in your pics ?

- i have MORE questions then answers at this initial point 🤔

- Lets start at the BASICS please

- What color coded Tracer Stripe is the SMALL black wire with the STRIPE on it you attached to the starter along with the larger battrey cable ?

- Black w/ YELLOW tracer stripe ?

or

- Black w/ WHITE tracer stripe ?

- use a clean cloth to wipe off wire and also peal back like 2 inches of the electrical tape to expose FRESH YOUNG TENDER LIKE NEW tracer stripe wire please

- WHERE exactly was this smaller wire u have NOW inserted INTO the BLACK PLASTIC MALE Connector housing on the NEW starter

-
take your time and make darn sure u remember the correct original location please

-
WAS there a 3rd small wire on and attached to the OLD starter ?

- do u have any GOOD close up photos of your OLD starter all hooked up prior to removinmg ALL the wired and battery cable , ??

- if so ? POST them ALL here please below ..........

- you have NOT stated in your opening thread post comments , your modle year , make , and if you even have a land cruiser or other vintage toyota of any kind ?

- WHEN EVER you post in the TECH forums please always remember to identify your said vehicle particulars , its very important you give us all the information we need so we can help you help yourself .........

- also , please do NOT refer to your TOYOTA as a FJ please , that's a confusing generalization term , that can get you in alot of trouble with the OFFICAL MUD Bezel POLICE .. so enough said there on all that ......

- i this ( assuming its a 40 series Land Cruiser ) , a IMPORTED one from south America by chance ?

- the SOLID red wire attached to the BOTTOM terminal of your Ballast resister along with the black wire w / YELLOW tracer stripe .....
WHER does this SOLID red wire GO when it leaves the BOTTOM ballast resister stud / bolt ?

please follow it ALL the way to its FINAL end destination and photo graph it please , and NOTE the tyread post you WILL be making exactly where it finally goes as well please

- ok those are STEP by STEPs FSM based T-TEN marching orders , please carefully start at the top take your time and reply back and or preform them one at at time in the order there posted above Please

this is how it's done , in a confirm and verify way , that as of now does NOT cost you a dime , so take make the time , and you WILL be fine ...... :)

matt
First, I have a pre-9/73 FJ40 with the original F155 engine.

• The wire I plugged into the new starter is Black w/ YELLOW tracer.
  • The unused wire is also black w/ YELLOW tracer but has an inline connector and is a smaller grade wire than the one I plugged into the new starter.

Here are some more pics with the old starter and the connections.

When you say to strip the wire, are you referring to going into the starter, ballast resistor, and/or ignition coil?

The new starter seems to work as it should and the ballast resistor only gets hot and smokes when the key is in the on position. Since this is only noticeable when in the on position after 30 seconds or so, I am not certain that this is a new issue.

The only change that has been made is the installation of the new starter.

Thanks again for the help.
Jerry

New Starter.....
PXL_20221106_015700468~3.jpg
PXL_20221106_141601802.jpg

Old Starter....
PXL_20221106_141135201.jpg
PXL_20221106_141622061.jpg
PXL_20221106_141625297.jpg

black w /yellow tracer is your KEY ON power wire

NOT your SOLONOID engagement wire

Users who are viewing this thread