Experience with aftermarket parking brake bell crank. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was reading some other Mud threads about the always-corroded parking brake bell crank and I thought it would be good to share this information that I came about when I did mine a few months ago.

1 ) The Dorman Parking brake bell crank kit from Advanced Auto, which supposedly only fits some 4-Runners, seemed to work fine for my FJ60. It is part number 924-750; I found no differences in the hole location or shape from the OEM. Other than an immaterial extra little "hump" in the lever, the only differences I observed were the following:
a) the Dorman version has the housing as one solid piece, unlike the OEM which is a solid piece with an different metal insert that most Mudders remove from what I've read. Other than that, which I find inconsequential, the Dorman housing and rubber cover are identical to OEM.
b) the Dorman version provides some sort of plastic washers to separate the lever from the housing at the pin pivot, something old crank on my FJ60 did not have.
c) The Dorman pieces are painted or finished with some gray looking stuff. Seems like they know the issue of the dissimilar metals corroding.
d) The Dorman Crank and housing, while finished with paint or something else, are still two different metals per a magnetic test I did. Just like the OEM.
e) The Dorman kit comes with what looks like silicon grease. As it is vital to use not just any grease, but rather non-metallic grease (i.e. NO MOLY) to prevent further dissimilar metal corrosion, this is a good thing to come with the pack. Since I had the OEM Toyota 'Red Rubber grease" that Toyota specifies for this piece, I opted for that instead.
f)

Here are some pics:

Old Bell Crank that won't budge.
IMG_4467.JPG

Bell crank housing after wire wheeling and removing the metal housing insert:

IMG_4483.JPG

Dorman set from Advanced Auto:
fullsizeoutput_168.jpeg

Contents of Dorman set that I purchased, notice the painted gray finishing on the main metal pieces and the white plastic pivoting washers:

IMG_4495.JPG

Pieces of old bell crank after wire wheeling. Compare the new lever piece above with the old below and notice the holes are in the same place even though there are a few more odd random "humps" in the new piece which didn't make any mechanical difference from what I saw:
IMG_4496.JPG

Does anyone know if this will fit the parking brake drum on a FZJ 80? Answer to my own question = No

Last edited:
you are a life saver!! thank you for posting this, ive been racking my brain and the web trying to find a cross reference for the bell cranks, thanks again for posting. now i have something to do this weekend

For those who see this thread in the future, I believe the correct aftermarket park is Dorman 924-753 which has more of a "V" shape than a "L" shape

I am going to take a shot at re-installing over the weekend and will confirm

These are for 91-92 Landcruiser drum brakes correct? There is a similar part for the 93 and up parking brake only drum. I couldn't find an aftermarket part. Had to order from Toyota.

For those who see this thread in the future, I believe the correct aftermarket park is Dorman 924-753 which has more of a "V" shape than a "L" shape

I am going to take a shot at re-installing over the weekend and will confirm
@BCMitch

We're you able to prove your suspicion correct about the Dorman 924-753 being a better match than the 924-750 that @fjgdk used? Any overlay pics to add? I need to tackle this on my 81 40. Thanks

Yes, and it’s a relatively easy job, I swapped both out in an afternoon. I would just sanity check the shape of the Dorman replacements with what you remove. It’s nice having everything in a lot vs trying to compile OEM part numbers. Will check my phone for any photos I have, but remember having greasy hands during this one

My 84 experienced the demise of the bell crank when I failed inpection. I read many post and Im too cheap so persistent is my greatest hope. I put mine in a Sonic bath then I lubricant it with some Knocker loose. Then I heated it up and took a hammer to it to see if the in a vice. It moved about 1mm...oh man ...motivation took over. I slathered the inside with anti seize lube and kept going back and forth. 1mm turned in 5mm, then 10mm of movement until I could move it with my hands. It works...

freed mine up, it started with a little lube, a little love, a bit more lube n love. then f%$k it, you're moving! a bunch of heat, a bunch of violence. yup,freed up. gingerly cleaned the pivot pin holes with some 220 sand paper n oil. filed the corrosion out of the block. it didn't have the metal sleeve shown above. assembled it with fabbed plastic washers on both sides of the arms n was generous with the same lube that i use on brake parts. then all that evidence was hidden by a new pair of boots from @cruiseroutfit

Good info guys. Thanks

Good info guys. Thanks

We keep all the OEM version of these parts (and all other parking brake parts) in stock here … :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom