Exhaust Sizing on a 22RE (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

pappy

photosynthesizing
Threads
Some of you don't know that I'm sort-of a rebel. I don't take anybody's word for anything. I question everything. Convention should be challenged. I'm not an engineer, but I easily could have been. So, two decades ago when I installed my first Thorley header I followed the conventional thought that pipe sizing needed to be 2.25" behind a 22RE. I always thought that was over-kill for these engines. As I learned about such things as "exhaust scavenging" I really started to question the wisdom of 2.25" exhaust on a 22RE.

Of course Google is your friend, most of the time, and I went into this with an objective, analytical mind. One table has made it's rounds, and you can find it here: How To Calculate Muffler Size and Exhaust Pipe Diameter | Exhaust Videos. Another good site was this Exhaust Size Calculator, Exhaust Size Calculator.

Now get real people, there is no way in Hades our trucks are making anything much over 130hp, regardless of modifications. If you are, then show me the dyno, and try to justify how friendly your truck is driving around town, or how it does crawling. If you are getting screaming HP our of your 22RE it's not going to be in a form that will be low RPM friendly.

What did I do? Last month I found huge rot in my Flowmaster 50, so it had to go. A year ago I had the cat replaced, so it had to stay, 2.25" and all. When I went to the muffler shop I told the fella that I wanted to keep the 2.25" from the cat to the muffler, but I wanted a 2" tail pipe. He thought I was nuts. I was going to install a Flowmaster 50 SUV, but he talked me into a Magnaflow instead. The Flowmaster was removed, and I went with a Magnaflow #12245, 5"x8"x18". Frankly, I don't want to hear the engine anymore. It's still louder than I would like, especially when I get into the throttle, but it's nicer cruising than before.

I can tell you I have noticed no difference with power getting on the freeway, or any other loss of power. It also seems to be easier pulling off from stops and overall friendlier around town (minor difference), likely due to improved scavenging. I won't have any seat time in low range for another month, but I highly suspect it will be better behaved crawling around. I also have a road trip coming up so I'm curious how it does on the freeway, how it does dropping from 5000 feet elevation to sea level, and if my mileage changes. Of course the design differences between the Flowmaster and the Magnaflow could account for an improvement in fuel economy.

Well that gives me some interesting reading to do...

I agree with you though... typical thought is "bigger is better" for all things, especially intake and exhaust. Both can be tuned for the RPM that you want to make power at - along with a bunch of other things.

Good topic though.

When I had my blue printed engine built by 22repreformance, I was told to keep everything stock on the exhaust. I think stock is 1 7/8 so lets call it 2 in. I think they are the only ones that have dynoed a stock exhaust compared to a 2 1/4 exhaust. They said since we use a AFM, the bigger exhaust was pointless from an air standpoint. They said the scavenging that happens in the combustion chamber was a direct result of the cam profile and not the exhaust.

The real question would be on the 22re turbo trucks. They use more air and i could see a bigger exhaust helping there.

Hey everybody! my question is, has anybody else tried the 2.25 / 2" tailpipe explained above? how did it go, and how is it going if you see these mate :). Also I'm from Quito, so I'm driving at very high altitudes, does anybody thinks this would be a good setup for me?

I just bought my LC 70 and the owner befor put something crazy like an 8" inch tailpipe jajajs, I haven't seen the whole setup but its driving decently (55-65) considering the 9800ft high altitude and that is working on 3 cylinders (one spark plug is disconnected). Cheers everyone!

I found out the hard way a bigger exhaust is NOT better on a 22RE. Our first new vehicle was an 86 4Runner and it was my wife's daily driver. My wife did a lot of short trips and the exhaust rotted out. Back then there was no internet, just magazines. OEM stuff was high priced and took a long time to get so I bought a Downey 2 1/2" cat back kit. It KILLED the low end and was LOUD.

Took it off and went back to a stock setup. 2" is plenty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom