Exhaust routing - need experienced eyes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OK. I started digging into the 62 today to fix a rough engine condition - rough idle and feels like there's a miss when it goes into closed loop...but it's oddly sporadic. No check engine light until I realized the bulb was blown (sigh). When I replaced the bulb, code 21 popped up - O2 sensor.

I followed the diagnostic tree in the FSM. Front sensor had .03v, back had 2.2 at the diagnostic plug.

Here's where it gets strange - I crawled under the truck to locate the O2 sensors to test resistance and it looks like the PO rerouted the front bank into the rear bank? And I could only find one O2 sensor!

You can see the original down pipe was cut and an elbow added.
tempImagejR1ygA.png

The elbow merges into the rear down pipe.
tempImageDByuFv.png

Single O2 Sensor (with good resistance) on the rear pipe before the cat.
tempImageSTWeN1.png

Did my 88 come with one or two O2 sensors?
And if the front O2 sensor is missing would that trigger and code 21?
Where would the front sensor ecm-side plug be located?

tempImageAZFGDe.png

Not OEM but a custom exhaust. Probably to eliminate the OEM exhaust from crossing under the frame it was susceptible to damage when wheeling.
The putty on the O2 sensor isn't OEM either ;). The OEM exhaust tied together after the cat's this may be the reason for the codes. You can try removing the sensors and give them a good cleaning with some carb cleaner that might clear it up, but go easy those bolts are easily broken when they get crusty and that'll open up to a whole other project. Depending on your local regulations I'd de-smog the 3FE.
:beer: ✌️

Well, I added the front o2 sensor and that seemed to fix the rough idle. However, now the truck lags and almost stalls under load (accelerating or on hills) when warm.

I suspect, since the number 2 o2 sensor is still in the stock location, and the PO merged the two down pipes into one very close the the manifold that the second o2 sensor is getting strange readings and confusing the ECM. My next move is to relocate the #2 sensor to its own down pipe…

Incidentally, would a desmog help clear up any of this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom