Exhaust Protection Methods (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all, I would love to learn more about any ways any lister here may have added protection to the exhaust tube that runs under the frame on some stock cruisers. It is a long story but basically I am in the middle of rethinking and redoing my exhaust and the more and more that I think it, the more and more I think I am going to go with the MAF 3" cat back exhaust which runs under the frame rail. I played with the idea of adding a skid plate from my slee transfercase skid to my slee step slider on the passenger side. This plate would probably be about six to eight inches wide and long enough to run from the transfercase skid to the step slider. The front and back edge of it would probably be bent up so that it slides over stuff easily. I also thought that the idea of just running a half a hexagon shaped square steel tube brace welded to the bottom of the frame both in front of and in back of the tube itself would work. I would appreciate any pics or plans anyone has for how to address this potential problem. I think I am close to coming to conclusion on this but I bet the creativity of the listers will work wonders as well so thanks in advance.

I've been on the forum for a while and I'm not aware of anyone who has built protection for the exhaust pipe where it passes under the frame rail. That other thread was CAT protection with different slider options. The earlier trucks pass over the frame but they are twin tubes at that point. I've thought that you might be able to fabricate something that would transition to a twin tube and then back to a single just to pass over as well. Just a thought and no real time stent trying to execute the idea.

[quote author=Junk link=board=2;threadid=11698;start=msg106591#msg106591 date=1077075799]
Here's a great idea.... become one with the SEARCH bar.

See this thread [ur]https://forum.ih8mud.com/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=11290[/url]to start, then use search. When you are done, you'll know mucho moro. :D
[/quote]

Hey Junk, respectfully I say, "search this pal!" - That thread was almost all about CAT protection which I did not ask about. One post, from you I think, showed your setup for CAT protection and then a post or so later someone asked how it helps with the tube under the frame to which you answered that it helps. Come on, that is not 'mucho moro' information than I already had and it cannot be the only method to protect the exhaust! Go and do a search for exhaust protection and see what you come up with. You gotta relax man, I think you require more fiber in your diet or perhaps more :beer: or perhaps a twelve step program for not fixating on the search! ;) If we are supposed to learn here, well then, the question is the tool of choice right? :eek: Now back to my question, anyone out there protect their pipe, how did ya do it??? :cheers:

[quote author=turbocruiser link=board=2;threadid=11698;start=msg106634#msg106634 date=1077078120]
Hey Junk, respectfully I say, "search this pal!"
[/quote]

Watch it. Junk may be a pansy is reality, but on ih8mud he is now a moderator. Don't mess too much. :D

[quote author=Rogue link=board=2;threadid=11698;start=msg106667#msg106667 date=1077079832]
Watch it. Junk may be a pansy is reality, but on ih8mud he is now a moderator. Don't mess too much. :D
[/quote]

I know I know, it is all in fun, Junk, ahhhh make that Mr. Junk, knows this, plus, he knows I'm right :) :) That thread only scratched the surface (no pun intended) on exhaust protection and it is reasonable that there is more to learn so let's share and learn! Besides, getting banned seems a secret of success around here. Ohh man, I am pushing too hard here but it kinda feels like an exotic extreme sport!!! Seriously though, all in fun.

tc,

If you do a drastic change in the exhaust then please post up pictures and a detailed description of what you do. I don't recall this being discussed here or on SOR. A lot of muffler and tail pipe replacements (e.g. Borlas), and one dual exhaust conversion, but no major changes to improve off-road protection that I can remember.

-B-

At the moment I think that the exhaust is not going to get as radical as I first thought it would; I've reluctantly given up going over the frame which is what I really prefered. So if the pipe goes under the frame than I think it would be cool to protect the pipe from damage. And, if the pipe goes under the frame, from what I was told, the easiest way is with the MAF exhaust which works well as it is. I keep dreaming about going over the frame with the pipe but I have to wake up and realize it is too much money to do it right unless I am not aware of some simpler way. I keep thinking that there must be some way to go from a 3" round to two - 2" rounds to a 3" round again and also have it so that at that two tube section there is about seventy degree bend downward on both ends. Some racing application or something for marine exhausts, hell I have no idea at all, I'm still just dreaming!!! Anyway, I'd love any advice on either the exhaust mods or, more likely at this point, a way to protect that section of pipe that goes under the frame. I wish I were better at describing this skid thing but basically a plate connected from the TC skid to the slider. Sounds strange but it might work!?!

Turbo dude,

I had my exhaust modified as I wanted a 3" all the way back. I too have the turbo, but I installed mine myself ;) Anyway what the muffler shop did where I went is they went to a 2 1/2 pipe after the CAT and flattened the pipe somewhat to ge it over the frame. I think they could have flattened a 3" and re-opened it, which is what I would have preferred 8).

Yomama

FYI, my '94, which has exhaust routed over the frame, has the pipe pinched a bit over the frame rail. Maybe I will take a picture later.

>> FYI, my '94 [snip] has the pipe pinched a bit over the frame rail. <<

Same on the '97

-B-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom