Exhaust Manifold Question. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok here goes... im stuck.... my FJ40 built in March 1975.

Heres what im working with... carb is from a 1976
Intake manifold is from the original 1975 Fj40.
Im taking off the headers and do not know which exhaust manifold I need. I read different things, "CA compliant" "non-CA manifolds"...... very confusing to people like myself new to the land cruiser world.

so... heres my question...???

1. What exhaust manifold will work with my set up?

or

2. should I buy a intake/exhaust manifold combo from a later year , (76 or 77), and mount that instead? and... if I go the second route, will my 76 carb, bolt right up to the new intake?

3. would later year intake/exhaust combos such as a 78 or 79 bolt right up to my 2f engine and still work with my 76 carb?

last but not least, anyone have one laying around they want to sell... preferably from a 1975..? :)

IMG_6213.JPG
IMG_6217.JPG
IMG_6320.JPG
IMG_6321.JPG
IMG_6322.JPG

Last edited:
AFAIK, any 2f setup will work on your 2f with that carb. It doesn't look like you're worried about passing smog, so you may have to seal up a port or two. You would not want a Thermal Reactor (TR) manifold, but they're not exactly growing on trees. It might be easier to get a pair that's already mated and machined together. Try to get the downpipe with the flange when you get the manifold. They're not exactly growing on trees either.

Good idea to go back to cast iron from the header. You'll be pleased.

Yes, smog not an issue, to seal up the ports are there plugs one can buy? or is this a weld job?

DIGGMAN - When you install the '76 carb, be sure to remove the existing rubber fuel line extension piece. Lucky for you, it appears that the PO just bent the existing hard fuel line out of the way, added the rubber hose to connect to the existing (?) carb, and left the original nut on the hard line. I would guess there is an olive under the rubber hose where it connects to the hard line. You should be able to bend that line back (be sure not to kink the line) to the carb and connect the nut to the fuel intake connector. The fuel intake connector is located above, and to the left the sight glass. The other connector, a banjo fitting connector angled downward, that is for a fuel return line. Actually, being that your rig doesn't have the return fuel line, you can cap the banjo fitting connector.

Just some food for thought......My $.02 worth...(not even sure it worth that?) :hillbilly:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom