Exhaust Hanger Broke - Options? Part #? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Mudders,

I broke the middle exhaust hanger in my truck yesterday, while wheeling in Death Valley NP. I think it was letting go for a while and finally bit the dust yesterday. I kept hearing a new squeak back there, but when I inspected the rubber dampeners a couple times, they were fine. (I've already broken and replaced each of them at least once.) Once it finally broke, I was able to figure out the problem. Obviously, I'm a genius.

So, what broke was the L shaped metal bracket that attaches to the exhaust joint at the back of the second cat, and goes up to attach to the top side of the little H shaped exhaust dampener.

broken exhaust hanger.jpg

This image is taken from under the truck, looking from the back of the truck toward the front. The open crack is right above the exhaust connection at the back of the second cat.

Does anyone know the part number for the metal bracket I broke? I'd love to see a picture of an intact one, because I'd like to know if I need to open up that exhaust connection at the back of the second cat in order to install the bracket. I can't tell if it just bolts to the top of the exhaust connection, or if the bracket itself has a big hole in the middle and the exhaust gas itself goes through that hole.

Any tips, advice, part number, etc., would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

It's part of the muffler weldment.

See attached diagram.

I would weld it back together.

Or take it to a local exhaust shop to have them weld it for $20.

96 LC Exhaust

See my current hanger that is part of my Bosal Muffler weldment. This can be an alternative.

IMG_20191027_180732924 (Medium).jpg

Last edited:
It's part of the muffler weldment.
Yep, not sure there's a replacement OEM part #. However, there should be a decent aftermarket hanger that will strap around the pipe and provide something to hang everything on the original mount. If you're trying to stay OEM, it's likely the remaining pipe isn't too far from needing replacement. Run it until no longer solid, then replace the whole pipe with OEM.

Thanks, guys. There is a real nice, older guy who runs a muffler shop near my place. I had him weld a couple of the nuts on the bottom of my Slee Short Bus bumper a few years ago, to deter people who thought they might run off with my bumper and winch. I think I'll take it to him and see what he can do for me. He'll surely make quick work of it.
Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom