Exhaust fumes in the cab, seemingly at idle only. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone,
It seems that the exhaust is leaking fumes into the cab on my 87 fj60. It seems to me that the fumes only come in when the truck is not moving, and sitting at idle with the heat on the fresh air setting. Is this a common problem, that I should learn to live with? Should I just move the air selector off the fresh setting? Any ideas as to how to fix this problem?

Thanks,
Zack

it's not normal:eek:
4f858c642a15030db603af35b65d679f.jpg

Are you certain its CO ? or could it be HCs ?

I jut thot i chim in and say dat my fj60 leeeeeks exost too! He heh... My fj60 more stinky at stopping lite or sign, so i jut dribe it realy fast and get fresh air in da cabbin. i don noe wut cozzes it, but i i tink it is a exost leek. i dribe it in da sity and stop and go and i get a bit dizzy so now i just floor da gass to kep fres air commin. make me feeeel like i hab been weldicating on galbanisd mettal. mak me fel funnee inside like led paynt.

My problem is exhaust gas in the cab while driving with the windows down....I believe that it was from the exhaust manifold gasket, and most of it was.

I was just thinking that it seems to only be doing it at idle.

Zack

What I was referring to in post #4 was .... often crankcase vapors are pulled in and mistaken for exhaust smells....

A mildly leaking ex. mani gasket will cause ex fumes in rig at stop signs, stop lights....when not moving. When ya get moving, enough air under hood to dilute.

Exhausty smell when moving could very well be rear hatch gaskets (upper panel or lower door); vacumm behind rig sucks it in....like moving w/ rear hatch open....

Oh, lowtideride, as fer yer exhausty smell.....ya aught ter skin dat polecat befer ya eat it :)

Soggy,

Im to the point of rolling my truck in the ocean, I have a bad exhaust leak and after replacing the exhaust manifold gasket it sounds like an old pick up truck. I seamfoamed it to see where it was coming from but there wasnt a a for sure spot just a lot of smoke everywhere :(

Had the same thing and stopped by local quicky muffler shop. He told me I had a leak that was just in front of my muffler. It was blowing fumes forward under where I sat. 10 minutes later and 5$ poorer I was driving down the road with the leak welded closed. Maybe have a muffler guy or gal look at your pipes?
Fish

"Im to the point of rolling my truck in the ocean, I have a bad exhaust leak and after replacing the exhaust manifold gasket it sounds like an old pick up truck. I seamfoamed it to see where it was coming from but there wasnt a a for sure spot just a lot of smoke everywhere."

Don't roll that cruiser into the ocean.Give it to me,or better yet keep playing with it till it's fixed.Any way when you had the manifolds off did you check and make sure the the exhaust and intake manifold with a strait edge to see if they were flat?If not you may need to have them planed by a good machine shop.
Make sure if you have them planed to have them bolted together when they are machined other wise they won't be flat in relation to each other.I've heard that if you separate the intake and exhaust that they almost never bolt back together in the same way they came apart,so you have to have them machined after replacing that gasket.If the gasket is bad between the exhaust and intake or the manifolds are not flat that would cause lot of noise,even with a new gasket.

I just got done with a partial rebuild on my 2f. When I was ready to set the head back on I ran a straight edge on the head to block mating surface .012 (banna head) also on the head to intake/exhaust manifold mating surface .006 FSM calls for no more than .0039.
Took her down to my favorite machine shop had them surface head both surfaces, grind the valves, and set the valve stem height. $157
Slapped it back together. runs great and no more EXHAUST LEAKS

check your rear wheel wells for holes. you would be surprised were it will come from.

My buddy brought up a good point tonight where my exhaust fumes might be coming from...

....You know how when the hatch is open that exhaust fumes come in and its almost impossible to breath.

He brought up the point that the rear of my truck is so smash up from rocks and trees that is more than likely allowing exhaust fumes to come in.

I jut thot i chim in and say dat my fj60 leeeeeks exost too! He heh... My fj60 more stinky at stopping lite or sign, so i jut dribe it realy fast and get fresh air in da cabbin. i don noe wut cozzes it, but i i tink it is a exost leek. i dribe it in da sity and stop and go and i get a bit dizzy so now i just floor da gass to kep fres air commin. make me feeeel like i hab been weldicating on galbanisd mettal. mak me fel funnee inside like led paynt.

Do they speak English in what

My buddy brought up a good point tonight where my exhaust fumes might be coming from...

....You know how when the hatch is open that exhaust fumes come in and its almost impossible to breath.

He brought up the point that the rear of my truck is so smash up from rocks and trees that is more than likely allowing exhaust fumes to come in.
cut it and run it out the side behind the mudflap
is what i did:cheers:

my exhaust is leaking from the circle seals now in the moving part of the manifolds
im kicking myself for not changing them when i did the main gasket last year:doh:
this time im doing every gasket associated with the manifold

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom