Exhaust Booming on 2003 LC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

I did some posting on my problem with a new to me white 2003 LC on a current vibration forum (https://forum.ih8mud.com/100-series-cruisers/212963-98-lc100-drivetrain-vibration.html#post3233180) and it looks like my LC has a condition known as exhaust booming that has been covered numerous times before and there is TSB (Toyota Service Bulletin) on it too.

It basically manifests itself, or at least to me, as a very low resonance that kind of builds and builds at low engine loads, or when simply stopped at a traffic light with the truck in D (drive mode). If you shift out of D and into park or neutral the resonance will go away. I simply never picked up on it during my nearly 40 mile road test (the dealer let me take the car and have it checked by my mechanic). Neither did my mechanic - to be fair to him, he has the typical shop with air guns, compressors, fans etc. running and the problem sometimes does not manifest itself until driven, then stopped and being in gear.

My question: This LC is perfect other than this issue. Straight body, one owner, perfect leather, etc, but it has 90,000 miles on it, so is out of warranty (would be anyway since it has been just over 60 months since originally purchased.

So here is the question: Has anyone had any luck having a problem of this nature resolved past the warranty expiration? If yes, how do I go about taking care of it. Lastly, does any one know if just by checking my vin number if Toyota can tell if a vehicle has had TSB repairs done to it.?

I may have an out, but I am traveling now, and can't get to the actual info. The dealer gave me a 30 day boiler plate mechanical warranty, so I really don't know if this is covered or not, but I am going to push it when I get back to town.

Any help or input is appreciated,

Rob

I have a diesel so don't know anything about it, however I read a TSB that said there are 5 differrent vibration dampeners which resonate or dampen at different rates to try. One of them may fix yours.
I think most of the guys here have actually pulled the dampeners of their rigs.

EDIT Have a look at the first post pic in this thread, see if you have one of these mounted under your vehicle on the chassis rail

https://forum.ih8mud.com/100-series-cruisers/196592-what-heck.html

Last edited:
I have a diesel so don't know anything about it, however I read a TSB that said there are 5 differrent vibration dampeners which resonate or dampen at different rates to try. One of them may fix yours.

EDIT Have a look at the first post pic in this thread, see if you have one of these mounted under your vehicle on the chassis rail

So are you saying that hunk of iron actually does do something? Glad I kept mine in the garage because just last week I noticed a "booming" while sitting at a couple stop lights? Never heard it until then? Hmmm. :hmm:

my exhaust is too quiet......i dont know what you guys with OEM exhaust hear but i sure as heck dont hear anything.

I will look for dampeners under the rig tomorrow, but I actually put the dampener from my '98 LC on the '03 prior to a trip and noticed that the truck still had the boom when getting picked up at the airport tonight.

1Loud, even though the noise is described as a boom, it really is a low resonant drone (at least in my '03) that kind of builds and builds at low engine load or just stopped at a light. Sometimes I feel like I am in a giant bass drum that someone is sprinkling sand on.

Flat weird.

I will dig more tomorrow.

I just had a look at the TSB, there is one vibration dampener mounted to the chassis and a selection of 5 different dampeners that bolt to the muffler.

My 1999 has the vibration. It comes on around 45mph and then goes away by 55. The vibration and associated faint noise slightly vibrates the gas pedal. If you drive around with the windows down you can't feel or hear the problem. With the windows up, it's evident. I was thinking of remounting the gas pedal to the firewall with some type of isolating material behind it. Actually, until this thread started I had sorta gotten used to it.

Last edited:

So did we determine the damper (or lack of) was the issue? I still have the booming, but haven't had time to dig into the issue.

I still have the booming after installing the dampener from my '98 LC onto the 2003. The sound of my '98 did not change one bit when I took it off, so I don't know what it was doing other than looking silly.

I hate to say it, but driving in my '98 feels more comfortable than the '03 because of the resonate booming. At certain speeds it is just freaky loud. It just builds up and you have to change the throttle position to alter the sound.

I have looked at the exhaust system and it looks like it has had some of the TSB repairs. There is a thing at the back of the exhaust that is pictured in the TSB. So it may have been partially or completely fixed earlier. Maybe age has had something to do with it.

Other thoughts. The rear vent windows seem kind of loose. So they tend to rattle. Maybe the weather stripping is bad and not putting enough pressure on the glass to keep it from rattling. My wife also has the back seats in, in the up position, which I have just read tend to be noisy.

I am going crazy. I strongly suggested to my wife that we get another LC and she went from 100% behind the idea to the other extreme.

So I have to figure this out. I am willing to put sound deadening stuff in, or whatever to resole this. Does anyone have any ideas?

Has anyone put sound deadening in their LC?

Tires? What?

Thanks

There are 5 different dampeners to bolt to the muffler to try, maybe you can get friendly with a dealer and play. This is the updated TSB, not sure about the earlier one, it may have had diferent ones or different quantities. Otherwise piss the muffler off and get a straight thru one, talk to 1LOUDLX or others about this.

Hmmm, I need to figure this out. Mine seems to be getting worse and has now developed a vibration in the floor under my feet when stopped? Not all the time, but enough to by annoying. :confused:

Hmmm, I need to figure this out. Mine seems to be getting worse and has now developed a vibration in the floor under my feet when stopped? Not all the time, but enough to by annoying. :confused:

I think this is actually what the OP is referring to.

The "booming" at low loads will also mysteriously disappear when you put the truck in N probably, am I correct?

any additional word on this?

i am experiencing the same exact problem on my 2004.

when in drive and stopped with my foot on the brake there is a deep grumble coming from the front of the car. when i accelerate (or simply take my foot off the brake) or shift to neutral, the noise goes away.

how exactly will weights work / help to remove this sound? it doesnt seem as though anything is loose or needs to be held down. you would think that if it did, then the noise would become worse when under load. does this relate to the transmission?

if anyone can provide any latest updates or insight into this matter, i would very much appreciate it. thank you.

also, can someone please direct me to this "TSB" that everyone is talking about... thank you!

Here you go...

Attachments

• EXHAUST_BOOMING_AT_IDLE_T-EG038-05.pdf
    275 KB · Views: 208

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom