Exhaust / AC conversion/ windshield quotes -- (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, in the past week, I've taken my '91 from CT to Ill to Golden, CO to SLC to Las Vegas to Florida -- in Golden, Ben at Slee lashed my valves, tightened my front bearings :doh: and installed one slider for my '94 (the LH one's in the truck) -- also got me an Optima battery (no more 640 CCA!) and had and enjoyable day there -- pictures to follow. Lunch with Christo ranks up there to tuning with Jimi Page, in my eyes... ::) ::)

Today, I'm waiting for my glass-guy to come replace the windshield with OEM glass and seal (thank God for full glass coverage!), and I was looking at getting my EXHAUST and A/C updated.

I'm in Florida now in Orlando and the A/C guy quoted me $140 to change my current non-working system to 134A, which would include synthetic oil (new to me!) --

Also, I got a quote on custom exhaust work from the manifold back -- 2 new cats, 14 gauge piping, flowmaster muffler and resonator -- for $550 -- looks like CRAPPY work, plus, my welder is at home, next to my richard simmons tapes (JK) --

-- what do y'all think for the A/C and exhaust quotes?

I love my '91, BTW -- I took TONS of pics with it -- willl post them later -- I put 8,000 miles on it in the past two weeks -- thankfully, there was some business in this trip -- !!

BTW, I've got 10 rescue dogs with me -- all crated -- thank GOD -- !! Also, met up with Kit with his '97 LX in Miss -- you could EAT off his truck it was so clean -- !!

Having a great time --

eric

Eric,
Get in line with the exhaust stuff. This has hit like the mad exhaust disease - so blame those WA pimps. :flipoff2: Seems like a lot of guys on the 80's list have exhaust issues right now, myself included.

Not sure what all is involved in this, but I need to replace mine as well - just failed inspection today...Ok, so I need a new exhaust system, going from 1/2 way down the downpipe, just below the engine bay, including both cats all the way back. Assuming I can get OEM replacement cats from either Toyota or from discountconverters, how tricky would this be to do myself? Is it as simple as buying some exhaust tube, miter cut it, weld it together, fab up some hangers etc? Or is there more to it than this moron sees? Based on the supercharger, does it make sense to go to a 3" from 1/2 way down the downpipe or should I stick with standard?

I thought about popping some zoomies out the hood, but maybe I'll keep that for next year with igniters to shoot off the flames :).

Thoughts?

I just called and spoke to Antonio at Dan's dealership --

tailpipe + resonator = $112
muffler + pipe = $400
LH manifold pipe + cat = y-pipe = $1,270
RH manifold pipe + cat = $1375

-- total = $3,000 list... for parts -- minus any discounts -- still, a lot of cash --

!!!

e

I say buy new OEM........... :beer:

So I can give that South African fellow north of me SOME MORE MONEY......... :flipoff2:

[quote author=cruiserdan link=board=2;threadid=9463;start=msg82846#msg82846 date=1072916493]
I say buy new OEM........... :beer:

So I can give that South African fellow north of me SOME MORE MONEY......... :flipoff2:
[/quote]

i think i'll take you up on that offer, c'dan -- and throw in a short-block while you're at it.... ;) :p ::) ??? :eek: :(

Which truck do you want the short block for? :-*

[quote author=cruiserdan link=board=2;threadid=9463;start=msg82859#msg82859 date=1072918149]
Which truck do you want the short block for? :-*
[/quote]

ah... why not throw in one for both -- you never know when you'll blow a head gasket on the road... :doh:

Done :beer:

Let's see, I've got his card number here someplace........Ah, yes, here it is!

Junk, there was talk on this or SOR about 3' with turbo or SC that there was a loss of power with the 3". That was long time ago and kant remember.

e, I wouldn't spend that kind of $$ for cat's. Find a local shop and get one next size biger or to cat. Y into the single cat and go oversized pipe the rest of the way back.
Make sure the local shop will guarantee that it will pass smog test.

Cdan - I would but I don't know any part dealers. :flipoff2: :D :D

Actually found some cats at discountconverters that look cheap, don't know if they come with the O2 sensors or not. Maybe I'll just make my own pipe for it. Dunno anything about this crap yet though. :whoops:

Just go to the Pound and get to black cats and mount them up under the vehicle and route their tails together to some steel pumbing pipe and go to the test station for your smog test.

dan -- i wanna throw two 32V 4.7s in each of my 80s -- just send 2 of 'em to me COD -- hope postage isn't more than the bill -- tho' it might be --

-- throw some SCs on those two 4.7s and you got yourself a deal (and retirement!) --

:)

e

[quote author=Junk link=board=2;threadid=9463;start=msg82897#msg82897 date=1072921720]
Cdan - I would but I don't know any part dealers. :flipoff2: :D :D

Actually found some cats at discountconverters that look cheap, don't know if they come with the O2 sensors or not. Maybe I'll just make my own pipe for it. Dunno anything about this crap yet though. :whoops:
[/quote]

Junk --

you can hilbilly weld (as was proposed to me) and cut the sensors out of the old pipes and weld them in to new ones --

-- looks perty... 'specially when painted with hi-temp paint.... :whoops:

e

My vote goes to chopping off the stock exhaust, installing the slee slider minus the added 91 arm Christo includes, then go and get your customer bent exhaust plumbed through.

Also, you don't need 2 cats on a 91...it only has one with an 02 sensor after the cat.

Should drop the cost.

I got a similar deal on my 91 for AC, etc...works great and is quite chilly.

I got my '91 done in Fla. with 2 cats, Flowmaster, resonator and 14 gauge piping (?) --

-- when the mechanic saw the job he was up to, he said, "happy f*cking new year to me" --

-- that alone was worth the $550 --

:)

eric

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom