Excessive hub resistance before adding claw washer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm finishing up a rebuild on my front hub, and I'm at the point of adding the thrust/claw washer then the nuts.
I tried spinning the brake disc to check how much resistance there is and to spread the bearing grease about, but now I'm concerned about how much there should be after coming this far.

From watching this video (@ 49min), it seems the hub should spin a bit after rotating it with some force, is that correct?

My hub is not nearly as free as this example, and I'm just wondering if that is an issue.

Thanks for the help!

I'm finishing up a rebuild on my front hub, and I'm at the point of adding the thrust/claw washer then the nuts.
I tried spinning the brake disc to check how much resistance there is and to spread the bearing grease about, but now I'm concerned about how much there should be after coming this far.

From watching this video (@ 49min), it seems the hub should spin a bit after rotating it with some force, is that correct?

My hub is not nearly as free as this example, and I'm just wondering if that is an issue.

Thanks for the help!

It all depends on the grease used and how tight the bearing preload is.

I use Lucas Red-N-Tacky 2 grease and torque the inner nut to 35 LB-FT while rotating, the the outer nut to 45 LB-FT.

Don't use the fish scale or follow the FSM for bearing preload in this.

It all depends on the grease used and how tight the bearing preload is.

I use Lucas Red-N-Tacky 2 grease and torque the inner nut to 35 LB-FT while rotating, the the outer nut to 45 LB-FT.

Don't use the fish scale or follow the FSM for bearing preload in this.
Ah, okay that's what I figured. After a few minutes of turning it sort of loosed up inside.

I buttoned it up with what felt right to me, and I'm confident it's fine at this point. (Save for the small lugs which now have two stripped nuts 😩 )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom