Wheel Hub Manual Locks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 93 came with a set of manual locks They aren’t installed yet, but I’m thinking of putting them on. What’s the consensus on wheel hub manual locks? Pros/cons? I haven’t found much info on the forum regarding them, but I could be using the wrong search terms. Are they difficult install and do they require any other parts that should be installed along with them?

Search as above. Also try terms like part time part-time conversion or mod or modification in this forum

Bottomline: you can't just install the hubs to get "part-time" AWD, that will just disconnect the wheel/hubs from the CV Joints and axle shafts which will still be turning along with the front driveshaft.

Some other countries got 80 series with true part-time transfer cases but they weren't imported into the US.

I considered them for a bit, but haven't had an issue with the auto locks (as I expected, and ime with American makes w/auto-locks).
As mentioned, there is a bit more to do than just the hub work. It's a bit of a kerfuffel and not really worth it imo.
Unless you're having issues with the OE auto-locks I guess.

To quote one of the great philosophers of the 21st century...

I considered them for a bit, but haven't had an issue with the auto locks (as I expected, and ime with American makes w/auto-locks).
As mentioned, there is a bit more to do than just the hub work. It's a bit of a kerfuffel and not really worth it imo.
Unless you're having issues with the OE auto-locks I guess.
80 series don't have "autolocks". A US spec 80 series has hubs that are permanently locked 24/7.

80 series don't have "autolocks". A US spec 80 series has hubs that are permanently locked 24/7.
Well then...that would explain why mine have worked flawlessly. :rofl:

Wow! Thanks for the replies. It seems I need to read up on the AWD system, center locking, etc as I don’y have a full understanding. Regardless, from what I’ve read so far, I don’t think I’ll be installing the locking hubs.

If you're running 33" tires and are thinking you need to regear to 4.56 gears, it actually costs LESS money to do a TC gear reduction and PT conversion instead of regearing both axles. Although, I don't think the TC gear reduction can go lower than 4.56 equivalent, so if you're one of the crazies who need 35s, you may want to do the axles instead.

I'm currently having A Rusted Development in Kamas, UT do the PT conversion and TC gear reduction. Should be done in the next couple weeks. I'll let you know what I think after it's done. Crossing my fingers I don't have any buyers remorse :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom