Excessive blow by 1HDT what to do? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Edmonton

Threads
I have a 1993 Toyota Land Cruiser 4.2 L diesel 1HTD The blow by is getting so bad I cannot drive it . smoke 💨 everywhere what’s my best options any help would be greatly appreciated Canadian

2F7CBAED-8F48-40AF-A333-AAB5878D1DB4.jpeg

05B3A7C8-EC5D-402D-B172-9342FE67DA8C.jpeg

245F5FFC-1805-4629-8DF5-A83B372AF5A6.jpeg

AF6D854D-0630-4335-8D46-551630065E6D.jpeg

F77AD760-BDD6-42A7-A092-46ACECE6AC7D.jpeg

What's the mileage?

What have you done to test for the cause?
Compression test?
Leak down test?

Where is the clear hose on the PCV going?
A blocked or poor flowing catch can can cause bad blow by.

Is it running OK otherwise?

What colour and smell does the smoke have?
Blue and smell like oil?
White and stink of diesel?

Are the fuel and air filters fresh?

What's the mileage?

What have you done to test for the cause?
Compression test?
Leak down test?

Where is the clear hose on the PCV going?
A blocked or poor flowing catch can can cause bad blow by.

Is it running OK otherwise?

What colour and smell does the smoke have?
Blue and smell like oil?
White and stink of diesel?

Are the fuel and air filters fresh?
221879km clear hose installed Mann Chetch can but it can’t keep up with oil vapour so road draft tube installed now but it’s just blowing excessive crankcase gases, exhaust smells of oil.. my thoughts are on re-ringing the engine correct the over fuelling injection pump power Rod modification.due to sluggish performance other than all the smoke, it runs great.. No Compression test or leak down performed at this time.. i’ve been backing off the load screw so only black smoke when wide-open throttle..

Is your provent concerned with gov't surveillance? That is one very fresh and clean IP, and well, everything but the injectors and intake look really new. Or is it just repainted well? I'd have to guess the only good way to know is a compression test. I also have blow by and had blown up 3 compression gauges trying to see if it was rings so then I was all like probably good compression.

1st thing to do is a compression and leak down test. Confirm or eliminate peak down/ blow by is a problem.
Replacing rings is thousands in parts and labour, compression testing is a couple of hundred tops if you pay for it, or have to buy a tester

2nd take the hose off the catch can, dump it into an open coke bottle, see if it stops the blow by, and if it's catching oil. A restricted PCV can cause surprisingly high oil consumption and smoke.
Several members have exclusive this (search the diesel tech section)

3rd, excessive fuel shouldn't equal sluggish.
You have another problem. Injection timing, pump tuning, waste gate problem?

4th, adjusting the main fuel screw is not the best option to adjust fueling and tuning issues. It's using a sledgehammer to swat a fly most.
Are you running EGT and boost gauges?
If so, what peak boost, and what peak EGTs are you seeing?

Throw the Mann/Provent catch can in the bin and either don't run one, or use a flashlube/ryco/PDI catch can.

The Provent design makes no sense IMHO, it has the 'clean' air being pulled from the can below the inlet. Surely it would make sense to use gravity to advantage like the other brands do. I wouldn't reccomend them, have seen examples where they're feeding oil back into the engine rather than separating it.

Given your 1HD-T doesn't have an EGR system, there is no issue with a build-up in the intake which a catch-can is supposed to prevent. The issue is the soot from the EGR combining with the blow-by vapours. If there's no soot, there's no issue.

Ok it’s been a while disassembled the engine found two crack pistons between first and second ring I’m at the point now of reassembly with new piston's
Moving on up to the seven series gasket The only problem with that is that it's. Made for racing and terribly expensive. Special order from Australia.

Pay upfront Good day! Mate. Or. ? Shave a little off series 5 is what it's all about! Just about everybody's running them! In the 1HDT Japanese Family. Don't get sucked in Wink Turbo call me ASAP For series 5 Head gasket 0.626mm

0.725mm

At 0.775mm remove 0.075mm from top of piston 0.700mm should be good to go.. stop what about removing 0.127mm from 0.775mm puts us in the ball park at 0.648mm looking even better what do you think? A lot of wiggle room. But closer to the narrow side of the street if you know what I mean. Would you go more is the question

Measure piston protrusion and select the correct gasket thickness based on this.

Don't go to the thickest gasket just because.

What are your goals for the engine? Why not use a genuine HG?

Measure piston protrusion and select the correct gasket thickness based on this.

Don't go to the thickest gasket just because.

What are your goals for the engine? Why not use a genuine HG?
I also have a three notch and a four notch came out but not available so 5 notch is it with the least amount removed from piston.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom