Excessive Bass in a 2001 LC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently bought a 2001 LC for the wife and we have the dreaded excessive bass problem. Apparently this only applies to the 2001 LC’s with the JBL 6 disk system. The problem is a booming bass. There is significant distortion and you can't listen to any FM or CD music. No adjustment to the bass or treble compensates. The JBL amp is defective. My understanding is that the original concept was to boost the bass to mask the engine hence this problem is with the engine running only. It does not occur with the accessory key on. The fix is an updated/exchange amp from Toyota per the TSB. I spoke with C-Dan and the replacement cost of the new amp is 600 bucks. I was hoping someone else may have discovered an alternative route on how to correct this. Since it only happen then the engine is running I was hope there might be another way other then replace the amp, thanks.

I recommend appealing to the Toyota USA customer relations department with your amp problem. Refer to the TSB. Respectfully request that they replace it as a defective unit per the TSB. The replacement would be under the good will basis of customer relations, so it may help to indicate the number of Toyotas you have owned.

The PO may not have used the audio unit much, especially if it was problematic. My wife rarely uses it, but my daughter and I noticed it early on in our 01 LC and had it replaced under warranty. The replacement amp was significantly better.

Two other things to consider:

1. Put up a post here to see if someone has upgraded their system and has the old amp lying around. You could probably get a working unit for cheap.

2. Consider an upgrade yourself. I haven't gotten around to specifics yet (too busy fixing fuel injectors) but I'm almost sure you could get an aftermarket amp and superior speakers for that $600. I haven't figured out the details yet; all the guys on here who set out to 'upgrade speakers' wind up with dynamat, subs with custom fiberglass housings, crossovers, speakers with delta phase inverse carbon fiber cones and neoplatinum magnets, dual density waveform analyzers, and a bunch of other s*** I can't understand, and it winds up costing 2 grand. :D :D

My point: if you figure out an economical (<$600) upgrade for the amps and speakers, post it up. Someone may have done this already, but we always love new ideas here.

Have you played with the fader? I found on mine that if I just fade a little extra sound to the back and put my base on 0 it doesn't sound that bade. Might not be the best fix, but will be the cheapest.

Dustin

Have you played with the fader? I found on mine that if I just fade a little extra sound to the back and put my base on 0 it doesn't sound that bade. Might not be the best fix, but will be the cheapest.

Dustin

I test drove a 2001 before buying a 2000. The 2001 had the excessive bass issue. It was terrible. On that truck, you could set the bass to 0, and it would still sound like the bassiest sound you would ever want to hear. Maybe it is only that truck though.

I just bought a 2001 with the problem in Jan. Thought I was smart testing it with the stereo off to listen for problems. I was fairly persistent with Toyota requesting a new amp, but no dice. Bought a new one from Dan so I didn't have an aftermarket spiderweb in the truck. I would do that again unless I wanted to get a big upgrade, pretty easy to install and it made my stereo usable again. Good luck.

Does anybody know off hand if later model years would swap with the 2001? We might be able to find one in a bone yard.

Thanks,
Al

Al / Dtrux -
If you are scrounging for a "fixed" amp, look for an '01 LC made after May, 2001. A 2002 should have a good amp too.

Here's a previous discussion on the amp issue:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=134523 My post references the aplicable VIN numbers that were listed on the TSB.

A lot of things changed in '03 - I don't know if the stereos are the same or not. Also unknown: can you mix navigation and non-navigation components from different LCs? You'd have to look at the FSM (or see if the replacement component has the same part number as what you are taking out).

Just to follow up on this post. I bought a used amp from CruiserParts.net for $200 and that seems to have 'fixed' the booming bass thing. I asked for an amp from a 2002 LC. Hopefully it will work out over the long run, and much cheaper than a new amp (even from Cruiser Dan).

I know nothing of audio systems, though my truck has the bass issue. Is it possible to just disconnect the amp? Is the nav/deck itself powered ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom