Opinions on the JBL sound system (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What are everyone's opinions on the stock JBL sound system found in the L/C. In my 01 I can never seem to find an acceptable level of bass. There is either too much or none, I have never found a level which I like and I have messed around with all of them. Does anyone else feel this way?

Also, do any of you guys have problems with the tweeters in the doors rattling, in my truck its the passenger side but I would assume that is irrelevant.

I have heard the system in my sisters when she had the 01, it sounded like crap. That is one area the LX is much better, the Levinson system is sweet.

I am totally dissapointed in the sound quality of the JBL system. I did change out all the speakers and that did help. If I decide to keep it more than another year, I will most definitely upgrade the amplifier and add some kind of signal processor (Clean Sweep by JL Audio) as well. Hopefully the 2008 will address this poor sounding system, as I am going to be a prospective buyer. The infinity system in my 2000 Grand Cherokee was much better. The whole system seems really flat to me. I guess muddled is the best word. This is one of few complaints I have regarding this vehicle though..:crybaby: :crybaby:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2001 UZJ100-- Champagne Pearl--- 61K
1989 FJ62-- Freeborn Red---130K
1991 Range Rover Classic-- Ardennes Green---62K
2003 Mercedes CL55 AMG-- Bright Silver Metallic---17K

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
What are everyone's opinions on the stock JBL sound system found in the L/C. In my 01 I can never seem to find an acceptable level of bass. There is either too much or none, I have never found a level which I like and I have messed around with all of them. Does anyone else feel this way?

Also, do any of you guys have problems with the tweeters in the doors rattling, in my truck its the passenger side but I would assume that is irrelevant.

You need to replace the factory JBL amp. This is a known problem on 2001 LC's and is easily fixed by replacing the factory amp. I bought a replacement factory amp from CruiserDan and it sounds good again. For some reason they crap out and start producing excessive bass. A new amp is around $400 from CruiseDan and it takes about 30 minutes to unbolt the passenger seat and change out the amp. There are several of us on this board that have replaced the amp with good results.

Who's CruiseDan? Is that a stereo business? What manufacturer do you recommend for the replacement amp (or do you recommend the Toyota factory brand)?

I'm actually pretty impressed in my 06 for stock sound. Good bass and treble range, but like any stock system you really can't blast your eardrums out. Good thing for me.

Will it sound like a great system after replacing amp OR, would you just recommend replacing the entire system and upgrade it? If so, what system would you put in?

Who's CruiseDan? Is that a stereo business? What manufacturer do you recommend for the replacement amp (or do you recommend the Toyota factory brand)?

CruiserDan is a Mud member and works for a Toyota dealership. He gives discounts on parts to Mud members and is usually the best place to get factory parts. He can be found in the Vendors section.

As far as the amp goes, my 01 has factory nav so I went with the factory amp as I didn't feel like messing with the system. Obviously, an aftermarket amp can provide better sound than the factory amp, but the navigation system makes it a bit more complicated to wire up. Overall, I am satisfied with the sound now, but will likely change the factory speakers at some point to make it sound better. :cheers:

I don't have a nav system. Any suggestion on amp manufacturer and model?

Will it sound like a great system after replacing amp OR, would you just recommend replacing the entire system and upgrade it? If so, what system would you put in?

Before amp replacement = What the hell was Toyota/JBL thinking? This this cost me $60K. BOOM BOOM BUZZ BUZZ ERRRR!

After the amp swap = Damn! This is one sweet setup! Luv it. Nice deep bass....sweet mids and highs. Luv it!

System's great. We got bad amps!

Toyota replaced the amp under warranty - we had it done on our LC and the difference was significant. The JBL became a nice system.

The Levinson in the LX is outstanding. Definitely worth an upgrade from the base Lexus unit. However, a few of them also had some bass problems covered under warranty.

My extended warranty may cover this, now that I think of it! My wife noticed the excessive bass and didn't know there may be a problem until I saw this thread. Thanks all and I'll see if it's covered.

Does this problem seem to be restricted to the `01 vintage? Our system sounds quite decent (for a factory system).

As I used to be an audiophile years ago, I can attest that the Levinson system in the LX is excellent, especially for opera & chamber music. Very pure timbre, plus the vehicle's sound insulation helps. I'm sure it's even better in the LS430/460 since it's easier to control the acoustics in the smaller space. The Levinson doesn't have enough punch for rock, but it's not designed for that (nor is most audiophile equipment). The alpine/soundstream-a/d/s system w/ 8" sub in my 4runner is better for that (but it's so loud in that car due to the header/catback that rock is the only music one can listen to!) The alpine head unit sucks, though...too boomy. I've never been impressed by JBL/Bose home audio or Blaupunkt car audio (the "upgraded" OEM sound system in my sister's 330ci is lacking compared to the Levinson).

Before amp replacement = What the hell was Toyota/JBL thinking? This this cost me $60K. BOOM BOOM BUZZ BUZZ ERRRR!

Yep, they more than solved this problem when they switched to Mark Levinson. I'm not sure I agree with the "not enough punch for rock" statement. I think I could hang with all the gang bangers with my 06. I've seen reviews that call the system "unmatched."

Does this problem seem to be restricted to the `01 vintage? Our system sounds quite decent (for a factory system).

I think there was a bad batch of JBL amps in 01; I haven't heard of this being a problem on any other year. I seem to remember someone saying there was TSB on this for 01 but not sure of that.

Even the current JBL system in Toyotas (4Runners, Sequoias) isn't great, with the same problem; either too little bass, or (when you raise it) the amp is underpowered for clear bass at higher levels. On the flip side, the stock stuff is very tinny.

Agreed that the Levinson system is excellent for opera/orchestral music, but nothing heavy. My Phantom of the Opera cd sounds great... my Nitzer Ebb cd has blown the door speakers three times. You know my Lexus dealer looooooves me. :)

hoser45, with a Toyota extended warranty it should be covered.

I think the Levinson is great for all types of music, but also agree that it is tweaked for exceptional in the orchestral category. Since that is our preference, it is a perfect match for our needs.

Amp Swamp

After the amp swap = Damn! This is one sweet setup! Luv it. Nice deep bass....sweet mids and highs. Luv it!

System's great. We got bad amps!

OK, what amp did you replace it with, $??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom