Ever seen one of these? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
PC260001.jpg

Yes folks, the rarely seen in the wild 2nd-Gen 2-door 4Runner. An elusive creature, not many were sold when new and are sought after now. If you see one... be glad. You probably won't see another one (unless you are luck enough to own one).

enjoy

That's what I wanted when I bought my 2nd gen, very rare. Both of them I looked at had the factory rear swing spare tire cairier, but both were beat on so I wound up with a 4 door. '90 and '91 only?

Tools R Us said:
'90 and '91 only?

I think they stopped making them in 93.

Only seen one here in Phx, talked to the guy, he knew what a rare truck it was too. Maroon, lifted, 5-speed v-6 with spare carrier! Probably the only one known to exist.... :drool:

almost bought one of those in 91, dumb ass me didn't want it because it was a 4cyl. I have been looking for one for the last 4 years, very rare.

I had a 90. Bought it sometime around 98 with 140k mi on it from a realtor in Laguna Nigel. It was a 3.slow auto with cloth. It didn't have the rear wing or roof racks. When I bought it, I didn't even realize it was a rare truck, I just liked it because it wasn't a 4dr (I was used to my 86). It was a good solid truck. It felt very solid, unlike my in-laws 95 4dr. I did minor sublte mods to it. I never really wheeled it though since I had my 86 Runner at the time. Never gave me any problems other than a sticking starter solenoid. The engine was getting tired so I decided to sell it. I contemplated replacing the 3.slow with a 3.4, but knew that was too big of a project for me. I sold it a couple years ago, it had over 245k mi on it when I sold it.
fb5bd6ff.jpg

Last edited:
dang i see those all the time around here.......I think one of them is even 4x2.

When I was looking to trade off my 86 4Runner for a 90, I wanted a white 2 door with the 31" Tire/Spare Tire Carrier Package. They located one in Phoenix Az, but that dealer had a prospective buyer and if that buyer backed out then I would get it. Well, it sold. I was newly married, "we're going to have kids she says, get a 4 door she says, it will be easier dealing with car seats she says, get a 4 door with the options you want she says", so I did. My 90 4 door came out of St. Lous, drove it 120,000 before buying my 97 LC. Sold the 4Runner to her sister, it is still chuggin along. Still wish I had gotten a 2 door, they were such a good looking truck. There is a Bronze 2 door and a Blue 2 door here in Wichita, but they have had a hard life. The owners don't know what they got.

Landpimp said:
dang i see those all the time around here.......I think one of them is even 4x2.

If you see a 4x4 in nice shape, please let me know. I desparately want one of them...

I have seen them but not often. During the last year of production werent all the 2door versions 2WD? My dad wanted one of those so bad, but could never find one in CO.

I had one. 1990 with 22re and 5 spd 2WD. Lots up here in Canada

I saw 2 at Costco yesterday, one was owned by an old couple, prolly the orignal owners......I treid to chase them down........but I was on foot.....they beat me..;)

bkg said:
If you see a 4x4 in nice shape, please let me know. I desparately want one of them...

Wasn't there a much higher import tax for a 2 door SUV?

Something that Detroit lobbied very hard in Congress to get us to buy more Chevy Blazers and Ford Explorers, just to see the Japanese automakers sell more 4 door versions in the US.

Dave

Landpimp said:
I saw 2 at Costco yesterday, one was owned by an old couple, prolly the orignal owners......I treid to chase them down........but I was on foot.....they beat me..;)

Bummer. I'd pay cash for an V6 SR5 model (preferably w/ a 5-speed) with the sunroof, etc. I'll fly out immediately for the right truck. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom