Evaporator seal replacement to get rid of that dreaded AC smell and passenger foot well leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Still working out the kinks on my 05 LX. The inside would smell of mold everytime I would get in. I also noticed a drip on the passenger side carpet after running the AC and did a quick search on here. Turns out I needed a new evaporator box seal. So ordered one for $11 and just finished installing it.

Heres how I did it and it seems to have cured the leak and the smell.

1. Take out the glove box to get to this:

image6.jpeg

2. Take out the cabin air filters and unscrew the antenna relay with the 2 large screws in the above picture and undo the connector

3. Take out the 8 or so screws on the evaporator box cover to get to this:

image5.jpeg

4. There is a small connector clip on the top left of the evaporator cover attached to a cable. You will need to undo this too

5. You will need to pry the evaporator box cover off now and work it loose so it comes off and out from below. Use your hand to pull on the horizontal bar where the glove box screws go and gently to work it out downwards to get to this:

image1 (1).jpeg

6. Now clean out the leaves and other crap from the right side of the evaporator and you will smell that familiar smell and know you are at the right spot :)

7. Take out the old seal from the bottom of the evaporator housing here:

image2 (1).jpeg

8. Insert the new seal like so:

image4.jpeg

I can only attach 5 pictures at a time here so will post the rest in the next one....

This just happened to me... I have all the parts out and will go to the dealer tomorrow to get me a new seal.

Good write up.

I did this some weeks ago, while installing my "custom-built" activated-carbon cabin air filter; the old seal felt out when I dismounted the evaporator box cover, it looked like your one on the photo. But instead of buying a new seal, I cut one from a seal foam stripe with aproximately the same thickness. Fits perfect and no water drops onto the passengers feet :) Price of the self-cut seal: Something about 5 cent.

We did ours today, unfortunately 1) ours isn't nearly so neat behind the dash (not to mention some questionable wiring) :frown: 2) Toyota Australia and Amayama tells us that the part is permanently out of stock / no longer available. So we used a small length of 5mm PTFE based rising-stem valve packing (gently hammered flat) which did the trick nicely! All up it took about an hour, most of which was finding out the part isn't available and then rummaging around in the shed finding something to replace it with.

QQVbEL6.jpg

39us4GN.jpg

Am I doing something wrong or do you need to cut the OEM gasket? Mine is about 1/4 inch too long

57BFBE7A-D065-42E7-8D11-CC6204DAD787.jpeg

9EAE5EF2-D67B-4021-90DE-EDAEC85747BA.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom