EV Conversion of 70 Series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Friends

Is anyone else here interested in discussing the viability of an EV conversion for the 70 series?

If so, let's chat about it. I know some cannot help themselves but remind us about internal combustion swaps. You are welcome to click the post button, but I'd rather debate EV motors and other ideas for the "EV-curious" than comparing IC to EV.

The 70 series is one of the most ideal platforms for long-range driving and unforgiving environmental conditions. Mind you, that does not appear to be a strength for EV, just yet, at least. Some of us drive short distances most of the time. Given that 70 series are also great for shorter runs, I wonder if an EV conversion could be warranted.

The EV conversion sector is developing fast, and there are many appealing options. The energy density of batteries and their price continues in a positive direction for consumers. The shops that are converting vehicles to EV are also increasing, and the knowledge base among enthusiasts and experts is also expanding. There are more YouTube videos serving as inspiration. The motors are getting more powerful, and cheaper. The electronics and controllers are also becoming more straightforward.

Here is my use case: I have a 70 series pick up with a 3B. Every system of my BJ75 is functioning normally, so I am not compelled to rip it apart. But, I know that some of the relays for the 3B (in 24V) are no longer available, and that the 3B is not the fastest. I know I can fit a turbo, or 1HZ swap without going mad, or broke.

I drive my BJ75 short distances around the valley where we live in agreeable New England weather. I was thinking that it would be so sweet to have the BJ75 with gobs more power, clean, a simpler propulsion system, and a respectable 100 mile or so range...

Anyway, here are a few URLs that folks may find interesting...

Here is an installer in our region: ev propulsion sells electric vehicle parts and conversions for ev's
Here is one promising motor: Motor Information
Example of batteries: LG CHEM Lithium Ion Battery - 60.8V, 2.6kWh, EV West - Electric Vehicle Parts, Components, EVSE Charging Stations, Electric Car Conversion Kits

Have you seen this?

Builds - Electric TLC FJ-40 Build

img_2605-jpeg.2210480

Last edited:
I have been watching a show called Vintage Voltage... I thought of a cruiser too.
No way I could afford it though.

I wonder if an EV conversion could be warranted

EV 79 series are already on sale. But the cost and the limitations make conversions uneconomical for the time being

Last October, I placed my deposit on a Bollinger.
This year, they released that they will be offering their 'skateboard' to builders.

I want to see if I can change my order and just get their EV chassis, and then drop a 78 series 4 door wagon body onto this platform.

^^this^^

Is anyone else here interested in discussing the viability of an EV conversion for the 70 series?
YES...the majority of my trips are short too. But if going through all of this I want get the longest range possible, for when we do camp/roadtrip, etc. I want to do it with the Rivian skateboard. I put down a deposit quite a while ago. Would love to convert my deposit to just the skateboard and throw a Troopy body or dual cab ute on it. Need to contact them to see if they'll sell a skateboard only. I HIGHLY doubt they will.

I drive my BJ75 short distances around the valley where we live in agreeable New England weather. I was thinking that it would be so sweet to have the BJ75 with gobs more power, clean, a simpler propulsion system, and a respectable 100 mile or so range...
DO IT!!!!

This year, they released that they will be offering their 'skateboard' to builders.
I want to see if I can change my order and just get their EV chassis, and then drop a 78 series 4 door wagon body onto this platform.
I hope you can. The link suggests it's for commercial customers. Would LOVE to see you trail blaze here.

Last edited:
I have been watching a show called Vintage Voltage... I thought of a cruiser too.
No way I could afford it though.
Thank you for that. I had not seen this before. Binging tonight.

Bumping this up, @Reinhardtius...

Did you get your EV conversion done yet?

I was wasting time on the electricGT website today and although their plug-and-play systems are currently only available for the 40 and 60 series, it appears the 70 series could get some love too. Check out the vehicle fitment part under details:

Bumping this up, @Reinhardtius...

Did you get your EV conversion done yet?

I was wasting time on the electricGT website today and although their plug-and-play systems are currently only available for the 40 and 60 series, it appears the 70 series could get some love too. Check out the vehicle fitment part under details:

Hey, I work with the guys at Electric GT and have been consulting on product development. I've driven the 40 series with the prototype motor in the pictures above and I'm working on packaging the kit for 60 series as we speak. I'm happy to answer any questions. The upcoming production system should drop right into 70 series trucks configured for a 3FE. We will have plug and play adapters to mate the system to gas H41/H42/H55 or even NV4500s with a GM input.

We will also be able to produce adapter systems to get you to a "build your own Hyper-9" set up, which would get your EV performance very much in line with the factory motors that older 70 series came with. The Hyper 9 systems are available now, we have CAD files for the adapters and brand new EV clutch systems, all we have to do is produce them (we aren't stocking a lot because Covid-19 has been really hard on us). I have a BJ74, and the Hyper9 will absolutely demolish the factory 13B-T even though the numbers are equivalent. It's pretty cool stuff.

I would have no issues putting one of these EV Systems in a Land Cruiser and daily driving it like a Tesla :) This stuff is bombproof. I can't wait to get this stuff online and see what people do with it.

Thanks for jumping in @MyCruiserisaHogBeast!

I've got some interest in this personally (PM inbound later today) but am REALLY hoping another 70 series owner steps up first as a guinea pig.

I believe the overwhelming majority of 70 series owners here are working with diesel B or HZ series engines, not petrol, so the upcoming production version for swapping from the 3FE wouldn't get much love. When you say production system you're referring to what the website references as "vehicle systems", correct? It's the "crate systems" that I/we would be looking at for diesel powered 70 series rigs, at least until electricGT does some R&D from B and HZ powered rigs?

I'm hoping we have more people joining this discussion.

Great thread, electric is the way of the future for sure. What kind of battery system are you looking to go with? Voltage? Weight is always the issue with conversions and that will be your biggest challenge in your design layout as well as poor aerodynamics, but the torque from electric motors is instantaneous.
I used to convert beach cruisers using 36 volt hub motors and three 12v LA batts. Was able to get almost 30 mph out of those. I would pass people going up hill on their expensive bikes and would get the strangest looks. Good luck with the conversion!

Thanks for jumping in @MyCruiserisaHogBeast!

I've got some interest in this personally (PM inbound later today) but am REALLY hoping another 70 series owner steps up first as a guinea pig.

I believe the overwhelming majority of 70 series owners here are working with diesel B or HZ series engines, not petrol, so the upcoming production version for swapping from the 3FE wouldn't get much love. When you say production system you're referring to what the website references as "vehicle systems", correct? It's the "crate systems" that I/we would be looking at for diesel powered 70 series rigs, at least until electricGT does some R&D from B and HZ powered rigs?

I'm hoping we have more people joining this discussion.

Chances of seeing a 70 series specific system are really slim just because of demand. What you would need to do is basically retrofit the incoming FJ60/FJ62 system for the 70 series, which from what I gather really won't be all that challenging. Yes we are talking about Vehicle Systems.

If someone wants to commission a build for a full system specifically around the transmission input for diesels, it wouldn't take much to develop a diesel specific system. I believe the only real difference is input length and spline count of the transmission (someone please chime to verify). Until that happens we probably won't see a diesel specific set up on the R&D docket. The vast majority of the interest we get is from domestic Cruiser owners, with good reason. I love Toyota L6s but I won't drive one because of the fuel economy any more (which is why I drive my BJ74, 25mpg doesn't totally suck). We are getting some international interest, but we can't support them from afar right now. We would need someone local to work with. The good news is that you can just simply buy a new H55F from Toyota, so the added expense of converting to a gas configuration is a relative drop in the bucket.

Right now, a Build Your Own Hyper9 set up would be a slam dunk. It doesn't have the tire (and drivetrain) shredding power of the upcoming vehicle system, but it'll move you along just fine. All we would need is someone to work with us on getting adapters made. If you want to be a pioneer, your option would be to take the incoming FJ60/62 System and drop it into a 70 series. I'm sure there will be some surprises involved in the switch from LHD to RHD especially, but the drivetrain would pretty much drop right in as far as I can tell.

Great thread, electric is the way of the future for sure. What kind of battery system are you looking to go with? Voltage? Weight is always the issue with conversions and that will be your biggest challenge in your design layout as well as poor aerodynamics, but the torque from electric motors is instantaneous.
I used to convert beach cruisers using 36 volt hub motors and three 12v LA batts. Was able to get almost 30 mph out of those. I would pass people going up hill on their expensive bikes and would get the strangest looks. Good luck with the conversion!

Originally it was Tesla Model S modules packed into our own proprietary battery boxes. Recently we have had some opportunities pop up that may allow us to explore high voltage outputs that would allow for fun stuff like fast charging, which currently is not an option with consumer grade EV retrofitting components. Covid-19 has done quite a number on us but we are still alive, and the break has allowed us to explore these higher voltage options. It'll also help us shed some weight. The FJ40 above is actually a couple hundred pounds lighter than factory, but it has an outdated battery pack that will not reach production. This new opportunity may lead to some even higher output motor configurations. The GTe-253 system featured in the FJ40 is down right terrifying, and it's only 130 hp, 250 tq (instant power and wide rev ranges changes everything). The new systems will be like having a conversation with the sweet baby jesus who has taken the form of a Land Cruiser.

Range is the only real downside to the conversion. For a Land Cruiser, expect somewhere between 1.5-2.5 miles per kWH, which still means that you have a fully functional range for daily driving and even off roading. I'd run the Rubicon with a 100kWh rig, no problem. But, for long distances, we are going to run into energy storage challenges with ALL of these old vehicles. They're just not designed to pack away this many batteries. We will be able to do 100kWh for sure, and that in and of itself is a HUGE feat, but after that on current technology we just hit a wall regarding footprint and weight, and we probably won't see any huge improvements until the next generation of battery tech is out and has had time to marinate. OE stuff getting less and less consumer friendly, so chances are we will have to wait for new battery tech to trickle down into the consumer aftermarket.

I think it's cool as heck, no way I could ever afford it, but If I ever hit the lottery, it would be cool.

I think range is an issue as well, but they will get there eventually...

Oh and cost, whats the Hyper 9 system run? ballpark?

I think it's cool as heck, no way I could ever afford it, but If I ever hit the lottery, it would be cool.

I think range is an issue as well, but they will get there eventually...

Oh and cost, whats the Hyper 9 system run? ballpark?

I feel you on the costs. We're doing everything we can to keep the costs down but in the end it's batteries, batteries, batteries. Range will increase and costs will come down with time, but I don't think we're going to see a significant difference for years just because we have to wait for it to trickle down.

It depends on how much leg work you want to do. You're looking at $20-$40K going all in.

I urge everyone to look at this more from the perspective of being able to daily drive your Land Cruiser instead of a Tesla, this isn't like LS swapping your Land Cruiser, its about redefining it. I'm one of those guys who really likes to daily drive s***ty old trucks, so this philosophy appeals to me.

Chances of seeing a 70 series specific system are really slim just because of demand. What you would need to do is basically retrofit the incoming FJ60/FJ62 system for the 70 series, which from what I gather really won't be all that challenging. Yes we are talking about Vehicle Systems.

If someone wants to commission a build for a full system specifically around the transmission input for diesels, it wouldn't take much to develop a diesel specific system. I believe the only real difference is input length and spline count of the transmission (someone please chime to verify). Until that happens we probably won't see a diesel specific set up on the R&D docket. The vast majority of the interest we get is from domestic Cruiser owners, with good reason. I love Toyota L6s but I won't drive one because of the fuel economy any more (which is why I drive my BJ74, 25mpg doesn't totally suck). We are getting some international interest, but we can't support them from afar right now. We would need someone local to work with. The good news is that you can just simply buy a new H55F from Toyota, so the added expense of converting to a gas configuration is a relative drop in the bucket.

Right now, a Build Your Own Hyper9 set up would be a slam dunk. It doesn't have the tire (and drivetrain) shredding power of the upcoming vehicle system, but it'll move you along just fine. All we would need is someone to work with us on getting adapters made. If you want to be a pioneer, your option would be to take the incoming FJ60/62 System and drop it into a 70 series. I'm sure there will be some surprises involved in the switch from LHD to RHD especially, but the drivetrain would pretty much drop right in as far as I can tell.

Originally it was Tesla Model S modules packed into our own proprietary battery boxes. Recently we have had some opportunities pop up that may allow us to explore high voltage outputs that would allow for fun stuff like fast charging, which currently is not an option with consumer grade EV retrofitting components. Covid-19 has done quite a number on us but we are still alive, and the break has allowed us to explore these higher voltage options. It'll also help us shed some weight. The FJ40 above is actually a couple hundred pounds lighter than factory, but it has an outdated battery pack that will not reach production. This new opportunity may lead to some even higher output motor configurations. The GTe-253 system featured in the FJ40 is down right terrifying, and it's only 130 hp, 250 tq (instant power and wide rev ranges changes everything). The new systems will be like having a conversation with the sweet baby jesus who has taken the form of a Land Cruiser.

Range is the only real downside to the conversion. For a Land Cruiser, expect somewhere between 1.5-2.5 miles per kWH, which still means that you have a fully functional range for daily driving and even off roading. I'd run the Rubicon with a 100kWh rig, no problem. But, for long distances, we are going to run into energy storage challenges with ALL of these old vehicles. They're just not designed to pack away this many batteries. We will be able to do 100kWh for sure, and that in and of itself is a HUGE feat, but after that on current technology we just hit a wall regarding footprint and weight, and we probably won't see any huge improvements until the next generation of battery tech is out and has had time to marinate. OE stuff getting less and less consumer friendly, so chances are we will have to wait for new battery tech to trickle down into the consumer aftermarket.

Pretty cool stuff. I agree, once the range is sorted out, retrofitting is going to be a booming business.

What's the latest in battery tech these days? Lith-ion is the most popular currently, but what is the new tech coming down the pipeline? Sodium?

I feel you on the costs. We're doing everything we can to keep the costs down but in the end it's batteries, batteries, batteries. Range will increase and costs will come down with time, but I don't think we're going to see a significant difference for years just because we have to wait for it to trickle down.

It depends on how much leg work you want to do. You're looking at $20-$40K going all in.

I urge everyone to look at this more from the perspective of being able to daily drive your Land Cruiser instead of a Tesla, this isn't like LS swapping your Land Cruiser, its about redefining it. I'm one of those guys who really likes to daily drive s***ty old trucks, so this philosophy appeals to me.

I hear you, I think it's the future for sure, but it's going to take a while to really take off.

I kind of tell anyone who wants to swap a diesel the same thing, it will probably never "pay-off" You do it because you want a diesel/Electric setup. There are a few cases in which it would make sense, but overall it's more of a want thing.

What's the latest in battery tech these days? Lith-ion is the most popular currently, but what is the new tech coming down the pipeline? Sodium?

There are several different technologies in the works, it really comes down to whoever gets one to easy to manufacture that can replicated at scale across multiple OEs. The key is eliminating rare earth metals and Lithium. Sodium appears to be going well. Researchers develop viable sodium battery

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom