Epoxy Primer Odd Behavior (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I ran out of 2k urethane primer I was using and ordered Speedokote DTM epoxy primer/sealer. My first use as a sealer over the urethane surfacer worked perfectly. A few days later I used it again but there were areas of bare metal and primer. Again it was fine over the primer but on the bare metal it developed tiny crows feet and when it cured it had a texture like fine grain leather. After a few hours I sanded it out and it was ok.

Today I primed a door that was entirely bare metal and the same defects appeared on about 40% of the door. It happened worse around the edges where I shot the edges first then laid a coat down. I'm only guessing but, it seems when I spray a wet coat like the TDS says to, on bare metal, it doesn't like it.

I'm going to back off on the volume a little to see of that helps. Just weird it lays out just fine over other coatings.

Last edited:
A few thoughts:

1) Was it mixed properly? Any thinners used?
2) was there an adequate surface profile achieved on the panels? (Sanded peoperly)
3) was the the panel cleaned with the appropriate wax/grease remover prior to application?

A few thoughts:

1) Was it mixed properly? Any thinners used?
2) was there an adequate surface profile achieved on the panels? (Sanded peoperly)
3) was the the panel cleaned with the appropriate wax/grease remover prior to application?
Thanks for the input. Yes, to all. I think it was just a learning curve with a new product. Still getting used to it. I was shooting it with a 2.0 tip thinking primer. I realized this really is just a sealer. It goes on fine with a 1.4 tip. I'm using it just as a DTM primer now. Then covering it with a surfacer. It's working. It also lifted some 1K stop putty. Once I learned its properties and limitations, it is fine.

Just FYI, if you lay it too heavy on any substrate that can be softened with solvent like old school lacquer primer, it will cause problems. Not a good property for something that is labeled as a sealer.

None. But, it should be reduced a little if using as a sealer, as it sometimes fails to level out. The SDS for the reducer says it is 80% acetone, which is consistent with epoxies.

I ran out of 2k urethane primer I was using and ordered Speedokote DTM epoxy primer/sealer. My first use as a sealer over the urethane surfacer worked perfectly. A few days later I used it again but there were areas of bare metal and primer. Again it was fine over the primer but on the bare metal it developed tiny crows feet and when it cured it had a texture like fine grain leather. After a few hours I sanded it out and it was ok.

Today I primed a door that was entirely bare metal and the same defects appeared on about 40% of the door. It happened worse around the edges where I shot the edges first then laid a coat down. I'm only guessing but, it seems when I spray a wet coat like the TDS says to, on bare metal, it doesn't like it.

I'm going to back off on the volume a little to see of that helps. Just weird it lays out just fine over other coatings.
How does it look?

How does it look?
Laying it down light to medium is fine. It's not doing the weird texture, but it also doesn't flow out of the gun well. Kind of sputters. It doesn't like to flatten out like a sealer should. It might need 20% + reducer but there are no guidelines for that in the TDS. I've used most of the gallon and I don't like it. I was expecting it to behave like the Eastwood 2K urethane primer which gives much more satisfactory results. I was hoping it would be a great all in one like the SPI 2K. Not so much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom