Engine Whine (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just finished replacing Fan Belts on my 1995 80 and to my surprize when I fire it up there is quite a noticable whine or squeal , actually sounds like a vortec supercharger. I backed of the tension on the belts but no difference. I suspect the water pump but to locate the origin of the noise is proving difficult and I am having a hard time excepting that the pump could die so suddenly. Has anybody had a simillar problem they could share so that I can fix it. Regards Zack......

Sounds like you used non-OEM "ribbed" belts. Switch to OEM and the sound will go away.

Alaska'a right. I just picked up a 95 with ribbed belts and the bastard whined. Kind of a neat whine (in a wierd sort of way).

I had stopped at a convenience store and left it running with my dogs inside (locked of course). When I returned, two guys were standing beside it. One of them asked what I had paid for it and the other asked about the diesel!

I recently changed them out for OEM and it's so much quieter.

Doug

I made the same mistake before I found Mud. Nearly new belts hanging on the wall after I replaced them with Toyota belts.

zackde said:
Cheers.... One question tho how does a ribbed belt much it so noisy as the whine is quite loud?
I don't know, but I've experienced it too. I had ribbed belts put on my 94 LC several years ago and it sounded like a turbine engine -- it was loud!

I just replaced all the belts on my 97 a few weeks ago and found that the engine was noticably quieter than before.

If you can stand the noise, keep them on -- otherwise, put an OEM set on (I suggest you contact CruiserDan (see vendor section for contact info) for your belts and any other OEM part) and keep the ribbed set as "trail" spares.

zackde said:
Cheers.... One question tho how does a ribbed belt much it so noisy as the whine is quite loud?

PO had one ribbee belt on mine and it "chirped" all the time. My complained bitterly about it. Got all 3 belts from C-Dan (Toyota) and instant quiet.

The pair of belts (if Toyota are matched).

zackde said:
Just finished replacing Fan Belts on my 1995 80 and to my surprize when I fire it up there is quite a noticable whine or squeal , actually sounds like a vortec supercharger. I backed of the tension on the belts but no difference. I suspect the water pump but to locate the origin of the noise is proving difficult and I am having a hard time excepting that the pump could die so suddenly. Has anybody had a simillar problem they could share so that I can fix it. Regards Zack......

My 96 LX did the exact same thing - so much whine you could hardly speak at idle. Replaced notched belts with Toyota OEM belts and can hardly hear engine running now!!!

Here I thought it was the tranny that sounded like a turbo! I'll have to try that.

Update

Just an update. I replaced the belts with OEM this evening, turned the key and she fires up quiet as a mouse. Thanks to all and just to add I read that some managed to change there belts in 15mins my time was 32mins flat I take my hate of to those that can swing the spanners that quick.
Regards Zack.

Just a FYI, the non oem belts have a gap the rides on a idler pulley, that creates this whine or sudo supercharger sound. the idler is just below the alternator. later robbie

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom