Engine Swap Rules In California (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is a California specific question.

If I swap a Vortec into my FJ62, do I have to stay with an
automatic transmission to get my C.A.R.B. sticker? Can I go
with a manual tranny?

Andrew

This is not an easy answewr. In CA the way it works is if it came as a package then its ok. So you can a run a manual if it was originaly hooked to the engine. Beware you need the speed sensors and gear position indicator for the computor to say the trans is ok. Its a pain.

My TWO cents. California is retarted! They want to keep you from putting in a cleaner running engine that gets comparible gas milage just because it is not original. I have an 82 FJ60 with a 1991 chevy 350 TPI with a turbo 400. It does finaly have a CARB sticker after 2 years of fighting with them. (I had to add a speed sensor and gear position indicator) made 0 difference on smog out put as the system runs fine on a closed loop.

Have Fun

Dynosoar

Depending on where you live in CA it will be harder.I could guess on what I think would be ok but with the laws changing and it being so complicated I would make some calls yourself. First off I would go down to a smog only shop and meet the owner. Some guy that has been doing it for years and tell him what you want to do and get to know him. See what he says about it all and then call someone from the state and talk to someone that knows what they are talking about. It might take some leg work to find someone good to talk to from the state.

Goodluck

You can always talk to a referee. What they say goes. IF they approve of the swap then when you are done bring it to them. I called the state and they said switching to a diesel was a "downgrade" and it was not legal for my 88 FJ-62 because Toyota never sold it here that way. But I know of somebody who got their FJ-60 diesel swap done locally, and the referee gave him his new VIN. FJ-60s were never offered here diesel.

But if I were to swap in a gas motor of the same year or newer then I would be fine as long as all the stock emissions components were included. Before you do anything verify this with some authority, this is just what I was told. And the state told me two different things according to who I spoke with. It was very confusing.

So if I had an FJ60, I could swap in a Vortec that was originally in front of an auto tranny, but I can't put an H55 tranny in my FJ62, and then do the same engine swap?

I hate California's politicians and bureaucrats.

Andrew

Dynosoar said:
This is not an easy answewr. In CA the way it works is if it came as a package then its ok. So you can a run a manual if it was originaly hooked to the engine. Beware you need the speed sensors and gear position indicator for the computor to say the trans is ok. Its a pain.

My TWO cents. California is retarted! They want to keep you from putting in a cleaner running engine that gets comparible gas milage just because it is not original. I have an 82 FJ60 with a 1991 chevy 350 TPI with a turbo 400. It does finaly have a CARB sticker after 2 years of fighting with them. (I had to add a speed sensor and gear position indicator) made 0 difference on smog out put as the system runs fine on a closed loop.

Have Fun

Dynosoar

I discussed this briefly with the test only owner who smaogged my FJ60 a few weeks ago. He said that the general rule is that you must meet smog requirements for the truck model year or the engine model year - whichever is more recent.

Should not be much trouble to source a Vortec engine from a manual tranny truck, and slide it in front of an H55F with a Marks adapter. I can't think why the referee would frown on this as long as the original GM smog stuff was there and working correctly. It's been done hundreds of times in CA.

M

Last edited:
VETTE60 said:
the tranny does not matter in california . what matters is that the motor is the same year or newer, and all of the smog equipment is there and functional, cause believe me when you go to the ref, he will function test everything that is supposed to be there.
that being said, don't let it scare you. just do it right. the rules are posted on the carb website
http://smogcheck.ca.gov/StdPage.asp?Body=/geninfo/publications/Engine_Change_Guidelines-Jan_1994.htm

I believe that when you get to OBDII stuff the motor/tranny are considered a "Smog System" and it does matter. At least that is what I recall the referee telling me prior to me bringing my TBI 350 1976 FJ40 in for certifcation.

As mentioned earlier, talk to the referee you would take it to prior to making the swap. They are ther to help you and my experience is that they are more than happy to provide guidance.

Don

Keep in mind also that it has to be from the same year or newer, has to retain orginal smog equipment AND it has to be from the same vehicle class or less, example Light duty truck, medium, heavy etc.
That is problem that we run into with diesels. There aren't too many light duty diesels to choice from, can you can pull one from a passenger car ie MB om617, which is why 4x4labs is using the motor. I don't think a 4bt will work either unless you have an "in" with the referee. You shouldn't have any issues with a SBC, except you cant use a crate motor either... HTH

Just talk to a ref. as stated earlier, what he (or she) says, goes. The recommendation I got for the ref i spoke with said it's easier all around to get a pre ODC2 motor.
Good luck
Toad

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom