engine startup (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Have a problem starting new engine. 2F engine, new non-usa carb, new non-usa distributor, new coil. Get engine to kick over and ignite for about 1 second and then stop. Hit key again and same thing.
Is there something that I may be forgetting since converting to no-smog? One thing I had to do to new carb was use old solenoid valve from original carb. One on new carb had a different electrical connector, could that be problem? FJ 40 is a 1977 California model.

Is that solenoid working?

solenoid was working on previous carb fine. Odd if it just happened to faif just as I changed it. Do you know if different year solenoids operate the same. Also, it solenoid not working what would be the result?

Could be a issue with "key-on" voltage to the coil......

key on theme is what the tech department at SOR just told me to look at. In particular the ballace resistor wiring from the starter, Old distributor had a resistor. Need to connect starter to plus side of new coil.

Stock wiring has a wire 12v switched (hot in run) to the ballast resistor and a wire from the start position (hot while cranking) that bypasses the ballast resistor for increased coil voltage while cranking. if you only hooked up the hot while cranking wire to the coil, it will act exactly like what you have. make sure the second wire is hooked up to supply coil power while in the run position.

key on cranking

as above you have a 12v wire from solenoid with key in start

should have another wire from the ignition circuit thru ballast resistor to the coil. you could have a blown fuse on this circuit or a bad ballast resistor. might have an in-line fuse as well.

running a hot wire with 12vdc to the pos side of the coil will keep you running but you need to have a ballast resistor to keep from rapidly going through sets of points so it's only a temp solution

FJ is now running, thanks to all. Had to connect hot lead from ignition to plus side of coil. Thanks for the infor regarding need of a new ballast resistor to save points. Will get on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom