Engine stalls after running for 1 minute (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm curious if anybody has had this issue.
I have a 2013 with 135,000 miles.

When I start the Land Cruiser up cold it runs for about 2 minutes and then dies.
When I restart, the engine runs fine but will die after about 1 minute. I tried bringing the rpms up to 2000 rpms but the engine dies after 1 minute.
I disconnected the mass air flow sensor and tried running again but the engine dies after 1 minute.
There are no check engine lights coming on. I ran a scan of all codes using my blue driver scan tool and the only ones that come up are P1603 Engine Stall and P1605 Knock Control CPU.
The Land Cruiser worked fine just 3 days ago.
Any help would be appreciated, Thanks

Do some searching into the fuel pump controller/ecu. I believe it was @CharlieS that had a long troubleshooting ordeal with a stalling issue, and it seems like we are hearing about slightly more of these stalling issues.

Have you had the fuel pump recall done yet?

Fuel pump

Lots of gas in the tank?

Could be a number of things.

Vacuum leak:

Fuel Relay

Fuel Sender

Fuel Pump

Leaky windshield causing corrosion at main harnesses at footwell

As @bloc said, I had a failing fuel pump ecu, that had very similar symptoms. It was a lot of troubleshooting ruling out all of the other things first - after making sure everything else was working as designed, the only thing left was the fuel pump ecu. Replacing it resolved the issue immediately. Although it is tedius, I'd rule out fuel pump, etc before the fuel pump ecu. Also, the ecu is in a bit of a tricky location to access above the frame rail on the passenger side with very little room to work

Last edited:
Thanks for all your help!

After reading all of the 236 posts from @CharlieS diagnosing the same issue that I have and then a similar post with @molanginaeda, it's all pointing to the fuel pump ECU.
I did try my other key fob like @CharlieS hoping it might be the immobilizer but no luck.
I believe @CharlieS did end up replacing the fuel pump ECU as posted on @molanginaeda post.
I have the exact same issue as @CharlieS: 135,000 miles, out the blue I started the LC and it's starved for fuel after 1 min 15 sec. Luckily the LC was sitting in my driveway when this happened
Seems there's a new part number for the fuel pump ECU. Might only be an issue with 2013 LC.
It's heading off to my mechanic today. I'll follow up with the results.
Also searching either the Tundra or Sequoia forms have a lot of information as well!

Here's the two posts that were really helpful.

CharlieS did end up replacing the fuel pump ecu and it fixed his issue. :)

Have you had the fuel pump recall done yet?
I thought the fuel pump recall only applied to MY 2014, 2015 and 2019

Correct. My 13 didn't get the recall.

I'm beginning to wonder whether I should consider a fuel pump ecu as PM.. the bulk of my mileage is far away from home. It would really suck to have to deal with this in Muleshoe, TX.

Correct. My 13 didn't get the recall.

I'm beginning to wonder whether I should consider a fuel pump ecu as PM.. the bulk of my mileage is far away from home. It would really suck to have to deal with this in Muleshoe, TX.
What's involved in replacing it? Could that be easily done DYI on a trail or far from home?

I just dropped the part into my 'next parts order' bookmark folder. Odds of fail are low, but part is (relatively) cheap and consequences of failure are potentially very high.

What's involved in replacing it? Could that be easily done DYI on a trail or far from home?
Sure it could be done on the trail, but I wouldn't want to do it.

Replacing that ECU isn't that challenging, but it is in a very hard to reach place between the top of the frame and the body. It is bolted to the top of the frame rail, and the connector is one of the ones with the cammed latch (similar latch to the one that connects the foglights and parking sensor harness to the body harness under the bumper).

I have a small specialty ratchet that I used to get at the fasteners (it has an unusually short swing/arc - I bought it for a one off job years ago and occasionally it ends up being the only tool that works). There isn't a lot of room to work. I'm not saying this is the only way, but it is how I did it.

Sure it could be done on the trail, but I wouldn't want to do it.

Replacing that ECU isn't that challenging, but it is in a very hard to reach place between the top of the frame and the body. It is bolted to the top of the frame rail, and the connector is one of the ones with the cammed latch (similar latch to the one that connects the foglights and parking sensor harness to the body harness under the bumper).

I have a small specialty ratchet that I used to get at the fasteners (it has an unusually short swing/arc - I bought it for a one off job years ago and occasionally it ends up being the only tool that works). There isn't a lot of room to work. I'm not saying this is the only way, but it is how I did it.

anyone got a pic of where this thing is? Or just tell me about where it is.

Passenger side behind second row seat
on top of frame rail, accessible from below.

1663115085663.png

I have a suspicion that some of these Fuel Pump ECU failures could potentially be a result of compromised fuel pumps.

We know this generation of Denso fuel pumps is systemically faulty. Across Toyotas/Lexus as evidenced by recall spanning a decade of models, that also affects so many other major Japanese auto manufacturers. It may take additional current to drive the motors, resulting in increased load and heat on the fuel pump ECUs.

From my own fuel pump issue, it was obvious the impeller had runout and was dragging on the housing. I could imagine motors running with just a little drag for a long time, not causing any obvious symptoms other than increased wear/tear on the fuel pump driver.

1663117959362.png

Follow up: New fuel pump ECU installed and that fixed the problem.
My mechanic said my fuel pump ECU was a ball of rust and the bracket was badly rusted as well. What a stupid place to put the fuel pump ECU!
I live in Connecticut, I believe @CharlieS lives in Vermont and @molanginaeda in Massachusetts and we all had the same issue.
So take note, anybody living in New England with lots of salt/sand on the road in the winter this is a big problem waiting to happen.

I purchased my 2013 LC in 2020 with 108K (currently 135K). The original owner lived in NY.
Even though I hit the car wash at least once a week with an undercarriage wash the ECU was most likely heavily rusted from previous owner and just waiting to fail.

Hope this post helps avoiding this problem for owners of Land Cruiser, Tundra and Sequoia.

Congrats. Glad you got it sorted.

Yeah, stupid place for that ECU from a replacement point of view. On the other hand, it is pretty well protected from physical damage there...

I will inspect mine next week when installing my BB cat guards. Is there anything that can be done to protect it from corrosion?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom