Engine stalls after highway trave (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 2006 lx 470 has started stalling after long highway trips. After I exit the interstate at the light the engine idles funny then dies. It won't respond to the accelerater before it dies. It won't start for 10 min or so and then runs fine till it happens again. Any thoughts on the problem?

Is it giving you any codes when this happens?
Wild shot in the dark, could it possibly be something to do with the charcoal canister/ evap system?

I've had loss of throttle, but only ON the highway, no stalling, and it gave me a speed sensor code.

Is it giving you any codes when this happens?
Wild shot in the dark, could it possibly be something to do with the charcoal canister/ evap system?

I've had loss of throttle, but only ON the highway, no stalling, and it gave me a speed sensor code.
No codes

I’m going to go with fuel pump. Any history of that being replaced?

On the 2006 and 2007 models I believe they have the variable speed pump and as it gets hot from driving the resistance increases and then it can’t provide sufficient fuel until it cools down.
No no history. And I was thinking maybe a fuel pump

I just went through a similar issue in my '07. I did replace my fuel pump, I haven't had the exact same problem since but it's really hard to say with 100% confidence that the pump is what solved it.

My 2006 lx 470 has started stalling after long highway trips. After I exit the interstate at the light the engine idles funny then dies. It won't respond to the accelerater before it dies. It won't start for 10 min or so and then runs fine till it happens again. Any thoughts on the problem?
Do you remember what was the outside temperature when the cruiser stalled?

Hot at least 95f
Okay. Reason I asked is with the similar OAT (outside air temp), I had the same experience.
OAT 97°F, humidity 8%, coolant temp 200°F (real-time reading on the OBD Fusion wireless app) I had the same stalling issues. I have an 06 VVTi 2UZFE as well. And replacing the fuel pump with part number Denso 950-0210 fixed that.

Denso 950-0210 Fuel Pump Mounting Kit Amazon.com: Denso 950-0210 Fuel Pump Mounting Kit : Automotive - https://a.co/d/1mVe8Ts

How many miles on the clock of your LX?

Okay. Reason I asked is with the similar OAT (outside air temp), I had the same experience.
OAT 97°F, humidity 8%, coolant temp 200°F (real-time reading on the OBD Fusion wireless app) I had the same stalling issues. I have an 06 VVTi 2UZFE as well. And replacing the fuel pump with part number Denso 950-0210 fixed that.

Denso 950-0210 Fuel Pump Mounting Kit Amazon.com: Denso 950-0210 Fuel Pump Mounting Kit : Automotive - https://a.co/d/1mVe8Ts

How many miles on the clock of your LX?
And heavy humidity milage is 340k

And heavy humidity milage is 340k
For that mileage and no history of the pump not being replaced, I think your factory fuel pump lasted longer than mine. Mine showed deteriorated symptoms at 230k miles (2 years socal truck, 9 yrs Houston TX truck, 4 yrs and counting Las Vegas NV truck).

When did you last clean the throttle body?

With that mileage it’s a good place to start.
Ivan at PHAD did a video recently: a suv engine stalls after warming up. The cause is the IAC closes upon warming up the engine. Once you let go of the gas, throttle closes fully (due to dirt) and the minimum air flow is now restricted.

Ivan at PHAD did a video recently: a suv engine stalls after warming up. The cause is the IAC closes upon warming up the engine. Once you let go of the gas, throttle closes fully (due to dirt) and the minimum air flow is now restricted.
If the car won't start back up after it dies I'm voting fuel pump. If it starts back up it may be the iac as you say. Problem is that that kind of problem can be a challenge to replicate.

I'm having the same issue w/ my '06 LX w/ 230k mainly flawless miles. Caused a major headache with being towed and renting car to drive two hours home...then return to find out shop could not replicate. I had some codes though; 0171, 0174 (system too lean) and P0300s (misfires). On drive home, hopped off interstate to fuel up, knowing I was about be screwed, and sure enough, died as I pulled into gas station. Outside temp 100, let it rest for about 30min, started right up, made it back on highway and finally home. Did you or anyone else find a solid solution to this?! About to lose my MIND! Used to be my wknd play vehicle b/c had work car...no longer have work car so now it's my daily (it's paid for and I don't want a car payment right now lol)

Did you or anyone else find a solid solution to this?! About to lose my MIND! Used to be my wknd play vehicle b/c had work car...no longer have work car so now it's my daily (it's paid for and I don't want a car payment right now lol)
Replace fuel pump.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom