Engine Knock getting worse BJ-40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.wilder.solutions
Hi, I have a B engine BJ-40, 1979.

The engine has made a distinctive knocking sound for a while, but I just moved from Arkansas (low altitude) to Idaho (higher altitude) and the knock is worse. I'll let you watch this video and draw your own conclusions:

(I happen to have a camera and microphone)

Engine Knock?.mov - YouTube

I'm planning to have it checked out by a diesel shop, but I need to find a shop that will look at it first and in the mean time I thought I could consult with you folks.

Thanks in advance!

Have you checked your exhaust system for leaks, broken hangers or exhaust pipes rubbing or resting on something? Mine made a similar noise, my exhaust was resting against my slider, I pried it away and the noise was gone.

My HJ60 done the same thing last year, my neighbour who's working on heavy machinery (drilling) and own a couple of diesel trucks told me that is a normal knock for an old diesel and that I could check valve clearance and head to try to pin point the issue. But the knock mysteriously gone...

Its when they are knocking under load you have a problem. What tyoe of oil do you have in there? Too thin an oil and they can be a bit rattley

I use RotellaT 15W-40, what oil would you recommend?

That should be fine but in really hot weather I prefer something a bit thicker 20-50

From my experience, pre-1981 B engines have more "diesel knock" than most other Toyota diesels.

I think it is because of their higher compression ratio (21:1 for the BJ40 B compared to 20:1 for the BJ42 3B) and more-importantly the different injection timing (10 degrees BTDC for the BJ40 B compared to 14 degrees BTDC for the BJ42 3B).

:beer:

PS. Wow. 50,000 miles is low. That engine is probably in pristine condition!

my 40 sounds exactly the same as that. It's annoying. I also have a 62 series with a 3B in it and it sounds great, tight and no annoying knocks.
aaron

Where did this one come from, see its left hand drive. 12v or 24v?

Thanks for the help and info. Unfortunately now the alternator quit :(

Probably just worn brushes ... (even though 50,000 miles is a little bit early for that).

My original alternator is still going well but I did put new brushes and a new front bearing in it at some stage.

Make sure no-one welds on your cruiser without taking precautions to protect it though.

:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom