ENGINE HELP?...engines sitting idle for long time (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Since there are a lot of gear heads & experts on this forum..I thought I would ask everyone's opinion/advice on the following 2 similar scernarios.

#1: My parents (who are older & getting ready to move) have a 1973 REPLICA of a 1931(?) Ford Model A w/a Ford 302 out of a mustang. The thing runs on LEADED fuel. Well, this hasnt run/been started for the past 5 years.

#2: I found a 1976 TLC, cheap..but, it also has not run in about 4 years.

Questions:
-What do i have to do to get them running w/out damaging anything?
-What kind of time/labor is involved to get these running?
-What should i check first before I attempt anything?
-With engines sitting idle for long periods..what problems could arise?

Both of these cars WERE NOT prepared to be sitting idle for such a long period. Basically..they were pulled into their garages one day and never came out :(

I want to turn the Model A replica into a hot rod and would like to restore the TLC for a fun weekend ride.

Thanks,
Joe

this may be better suited to the tech section. not the 80 - 100 cruiser section. these guys only talk about girly trucks with soft suspension, bug guards and arm rests (really did it need 2 pages), "brush guards", and think that true rust is what you find under a factory roof rack (you aint seen nothing yet). (you know i'd insert junk's favourite smilie in here if i wasn't conserving bandwidth,) :)

First thing I'd do is to put a socket on the Vibration damper and see if they are seized. If they are then that's pretty much the end of starting them there. If not seized then change out the oil, clean the spark plugs, check the rotor and caps as well as the wires. Check for mouse nests in the air cleaner!!! Drain out the gas in the tank. Put back in about a gallon. Bolt up a battery. Dump a little gas down the carb. Hit the key switch and pray. Those older carburated 302s had a bad habit of having a sticky choke. So if it idles high and won't settle down then look there first. Once started pay close attention to the carbs because after sitting that long dry the gaskets could be shot and leak like a SOB, wouldn't want to light then up that way.

[quote author=bad_religion_au link=board=2;threadid=5400;start=msg42500#msg42500 date=1063894998]
this may be better suited to the tech section. not the 80 - 100 cruiser section. these guys only know about girly trucks with soft suspension, bug guards and arm rests (really did it need 2 pages), and brush guards (you know i'd insert junk's favourite smilie in here if i wasn't conserving bandwidth)
[/quote]

Yeah, I'm still pissed that Dan didn't tell me how messy that birf repack stuff was! I messed up my new manicure and got grease all over my Ralph Lauren faux sequined red leather pants!

-H-

Ah, I had a 30 year old Pontiac I left in a barn for 7 years after simply parking it and it started up no problems. And that was in humid Michigan with lots of cold/hot cycling. Here's what I'd do if you're concerned:

Pull the spark plugs and spray some aerosol oil of your choice in the hole. Leave them out.
Check all fluids/belts.
Top off the tank with premium fuel and a system cleaner. (do this upon arrival so it has time to mix in the tank.)
Crank the engine w/o the plugs in place for about 15 seconds.
Check points/etc.
Replace the spark plugs.
Spray a bit of starter fluid as you now crank to start her up.
After starting and driving a bit, I'd change every fluid on the car, as well as all rubber parts (belts,hoses, etc) if you plan on driving it.

IdahoDoug

[quote author=Hltoppr link=board=2;threadid=5400;start=msg42518#msg42518 date=1063899268]
Yeah, I'm still pissed that Dan didn't tell me how messy that birf repack stuff was! I messed up my new manicure and got grease all over my Ralph Lauren faux sequined red leather pants!

-H-
[/quote]

WFW (waaaa falkin waaaa) ::) Don't forget to leave yer tie on next time you check the belts...... ;) (JK)

I'll add to the above instructions, put some marvel mystery oil throught the spark plug holes and let is sit for few days. The most important thing is to make sure the rings are not frozen to the bore. That is why you turn the motor over by hand. If the rings are frozen and you hit it with the starter, they will break. When the motor turns over freely with the plugs out, you can go ahead and put in the plugs and start it.

Cary

My old man owned a 79 FJ40, when he bought his FJ60, the FJ40 sat in the garage for 2 years, (he disconnected the battery before doing so and left a quarter of a tank of gas in it), by the end of the second year, he decided to put the FJ40 back on the road, all he did: installed a new battery new plugs, new air filter, if I remember correctly and the truck started right up without any issues, but his carburetor gave up on him 4 months later (whether it was related or not do not know).

Hope this helps

Al

mum had an 81 falcon (australian family car) that sat for 7 years, started first crank when we had to drive it to the mech to swap the engine in another car

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom