Engine Family Comparison: 1HZ, 1HZ-T, 1HD-T, 1HD-FT (8 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

As a teen I drive a 60 with 12HT for a few months (on line from an uncle) it was heaps of fun, and started a turbo diesel obsession.

Later I had a HDJ81 with HD-T and tuned it up a bit.

It is a different to a 12HT. Smoother power delivery than 12HT. 12HT seem to be known for a harsh off idle throttle response, especially off road.
HDT doesn't have the same problem.

I also have a turboed HZJ105. The higher static compression ratio definitely gives you solid low RPM torque before and as the turbo kicks in.

In my HDJ81, 4.1 gearing with H151, and 35s worked pretty well on road, but gearing was too high for off road crawling

I went through this decision as well. I decided to go with the 1HZ as the 40 is a simple utilitarian vehicle that does not need to get up to speed quickly. I totally understand the appeal of the power - and I was not opposed to it - but @joekatana found a basically new 2016 1HZ and the decision was over. It is going in my 40 now. Come on over and check it out!

I went through this decision as well. I decided to go with the 1HZ as the 40 is a simple utilitarian vehicle that does not need to get up to speed quickly. I totally understand the appeal of the power - and I was not opposed to it - but @joekatana found a basically new 2016 1HZ and the decision was over. It is going in my 40 now. Come on over and check it out!

I should come check it out ASAP!

I'm working on the 1983 Pickup lately. The 40 has taken a back seat since it's all buttoned up. I just drive it now!

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back
    Top Bottom