engine conversions? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,
My rig (88 FJ62) has 219K, and Im planning ahead for either a direct swap, rebuild or CONVERSION (financially speaking).
I ran a search and pulled a couple of resource links for conversions, but I was wondering if anyone HERE has done one, and what all is entailed in doing it. Was it worth it in the end?
Please keep in mind...I have a GREAT DEAL of mechanical ability, patience and a willingness to learn BUT my actual EXPERIENCE is limited as is my knowledge base of terminology, so patience would be greatly appreciated.
If anyone would recommend a swap, WHAT would you swap?

Thanks,:beer:

Chicago

5.0 mustang motor ;)

UMMMM....WHY!?

Chicago

Keep it real!...rebuild the original.

or.....

Look in the tech section of this site, you'll find some conversion info.

Bout as pricy as a 350, a stock 302 has more Hp than a stock TBI 350.

Smaller, lighter and it is not what everyone else does..

I asked a mechanic buddy of mine about a Tundra/Lexus V8 & he said "Why don't you pick something REALLY hard?"

To answer Mace, who never does what everyone else does (and as a Ford truck guy myself), "Why don't you pick something REALLY hard?"

SBCs have been common in FJs since the 1970s, maybe because they bolted right up to the trans. Vortec V8s are more fuel-efficient & powerful than TBIs & are reasonably-priced in the recycle world. Diesel Toyota engines have more torque than the 2F, and not sacreligious, and Cumminses are way ballsy and are the envy/spite of all. But consider that the oil industry has jacked up the price of diesel so it's now comparable per mile to gas.

Lots of us have converted. I have a stock '83 & a Vortec '84.

In the end 2f's rock :flipoff2:

Why go 302 when a 351 Winsor is the same size (shares the same block) and relative difficulty with I think roughly 30-50 more ponies?

Hey Tinker,
What all needed to be replaced when you did the swap? Did you have to get a whole new EFI system, and wiring harness ETC.
Is there a "one stop shop" for EVERY THING that youd need, maybe a kit? What kind of mileage are you getting after the conversion?
I dont really have much of an opinion of my engine as of yet EXCEPT (and I know...I know) the gas mileage SUCKS!
Fortunately, this rig IS a TOY for me, and not my DD.
I priced an SBC at Kragen, and it was more than HALF the cost of a 2F.
Now I understand that initially the conversion will be expensive, but Im thinking long term for this as savings are concerned.

thanks for the imput gents....

Chicago

alkaline747trio said:
Why go 302 when a 351 Winsor is the same size (shares the same block) and relative difficulty with I think roughly 30-50 more ponies?
Cause it's not the same block

Block on a 351 is about 1/2" taller.

Most things interchange, but the block does not.

351 is taller, wider and weighs more

You can get a low mileage '99+ 5.3liter GM V8 (LSx family) complete pull out for $1500 all day long. I would think about putting an overdrive transmission behind it at this point too.

Engine conversions aren't really done to save money.... they are done more to improve the current offering.... ie more power and potentially better fuel economy.

I'm doing an LS1 or 5.3i conversion with TH700R4 in the next few months when the weather dries up a bit.

If you want a "stock" SBC (I did for reliability & repairability), get one from a recycler with everything, including AC compressor, alternator, starter, computer, etc. I wanted the 4L60E (computer-controlled 700R4), so I got that too for about $2,200, "guaranteed". No one makes an "all included" package. Downey probably has the most complete conversion "kits", but you still have to do your homework. I get about 15mpg combined city/highway on regular with 10.5.0x33s, 4.10s, & a shackle lift.

I'd thought about a SBC swap since we got our 1st 60 about 9 years ago, but mostly with a carb motor & the stock 4-speed. Over the years I came to the conclusion that, although I don't like them & have never had one in a personal vehicle, an automatic was the way to go for towing, plowing, & wheeling. A mechanic friend (same one who dissed the Tundra V8 conversion) made me a decent offer to do a crate motor with aftermarket FI & the stock trans. When I confessed I'd rather go 5.7 Vortec/4L60E, he suggested I take it to the shop he works for as it was too big a job for him after hours at home. And I'm glad I did, even though it was way expensive & had a few significant problems (which they fixed with no hassle). I think it was worth it, but my wife wants to kill me.

In conclusion, I'd say that a swap with a manual trans, even the 5-speed, is pretty do-able by the backyard mechanic. But I can't relate to "lots of mechanical ability but no experience". Maybe you should start by going through your truck to bring it up to spec & see if you even like to do this kind of stuff.

Stay away from Kragen/Checker/Shucks(?) unless you're looking for wiper blades or air fresheners. Their "rebuilt" parts are just junk pieces shuffled back together. Their guarantee will never change your starter in the middle of the boonies.

chicago said:
I priced an SBC at Kragen, and it was more than HALF the cost of a 2F.
Now I understand that initially the conversion will be expensive, but Im thinking long term for this as savings are concerned.

Chicago

If you swap a gas engine for a gas engine you will save at most a couple mpg. You'll have to drive a million miles to make up for the conversion costs. Do it if you want, but not for the savings.

Tinker said:
But consider that the oil industry has jacked up the price of diesel so it's now comparable per mile to gas.

not true at all, sorry. mpg is about twice as good, and the price of fuel is the same, if bought at the pump. and you can go bio.
j

The biggest (most compelling) reason for an SBC swap is power. The current 5.3L Vortec (lm7) vs. the 2F...

HP: Vortec = 295 HP@ 5200 rpm, 2F = 120 HP@ about 3000 rpm.

Torque: Vortec = 335 lb.-ft. @4000 rpm (over 300@1500 rpm), 2F = 210@1800 rpm

As much as I love my 2F - and it runs really sweet - I am thinking about this swap myself for trailer pulling and freeway cruising. Running 33" tires with stock 3.73 gearing and the 5th gear OD, this should provide about 17 MPG if I keep my right foot under decent control.

Thinking Marks adaptor and using the Chevy PS and AC pumps. Larger (brass) radiator, would ike to adapt the stock 2F fan and shroud, instead of using the electric fan that is standard for the Vortec. Also, the Vortec harness has a cruise control component. Anybody know if this can be easily adapted to the FJ60?

M

I want to know where you guys get the HP estimates for a 2F

Even toyota shows ads that claim the older F put out 135 hp.

I will buy the RWHP comment but then you have to adjust the V8 numbers too..

I am going to go scan the Toyota ad.. It was in one of the latest TT magazines..

(-60) 3878 6 G 105@3200 189@2000 12 OHV 90x102 6.8:1
F (60-) 3878 6 G 125@3600 209@2000 12 OHV 90x102 7.5:1
2F 4230 6 G 135@3600 210@1800 12 OHV 94x102 7.8:1
3F 3955 6 G 155@4000 219@3000 12 OHV 94x95
3F-EFI 3955 6 EFIG 155@4200 220@2200 12 OHV 94x95 8.1:1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom