engine conversions? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Christ Justin.

relax.

I was kidding, I talk crap and catch a TON of crap.

Sorry if I offended you.

Edit.
Ahhhhh, now I see where this went wrong.
You are not justin, you are justin's brother.
I clicked on the second link and thought you were justin, that is why I said what I said.
I was not trying to demean you in any way amigo. I was kidding with someone I knew had something to give on the board.
Apparently I am talking out of my ass again.. ;)

I guess that statement "Opinions are like a$$holes everyone has one" is true....
IMO after reading this
Sit down and write down what is important to you and how you drive. What are you going to use it for. Make your list and go from there.

I think Jan-78FJ40 is on to something. If you buy a FFM (Flexiable fuel motor) you can use bio fuels. The cost of bio fuels is way cheaper than regular fuels.:cheers:

Jan-78FJ40 said:
not true at all, sorry. mpg is about twice as good, and the price of fuel is the same, if bought at the pump. and you can go bio.
j

curious1 said:
Go 5.7l Vortec with 4L60E automatic. It will haul some serious a$$. This one is adapted to the split case. Uses a Lokar shifter so it still looks like a stick shift. Made my own motor mounts. The advance adapter ones will bend after a while and rest on the exhaust manifold. Used the stock Chevy fan. Installed a four core radiator with a built in tranny cooler. Built my own fan shroud. It is absolutely sickening how fast this Cruiser goes.

What was the total cost of the 5.7L conversion, after all said and done?

batman said:
I guess that statement "Opinions are like a$$holes everyone has one" is true....
IMO after reading this
Sit down and write down what is important to you and how you drive. What are you going to use it for. Make your list and go from there.

I think Jan-78FJ40 is on to something. If you buy a FFM (Flexiable fuel motor) you can use bio fuels. The cost of bio fuels is way cheaper than regular fuels.:cheers:
That is one of the cool things about doing conversions.. You can get exactly what you want ;)

Tinker said:
But consider that the oil industry has jacked up the price of diesel so it's now comparable per mile to gas.

That is not even close to being true!! Until diesel is 2x the price of gas it is not the same cost per mile! My BJ was 1/2 the cost of the FJ80 that accompanied us on the last wheeling trip I took!

Just my aussie $0.02 worth, i would give serious consideration to the 1uz-FE from a Lexus soarer/sc400. Lighter then any other conversion, 6 bolt mains, fuel injected and you keep the blood lines pure. I wouldn't swap mine back for the world.

Hey all,
Nice job on the swaps gents, thanks for the pics too and the links and info.
This is probably a stupid question, but did you buy a whole new EFI system for the engine? Im assuming so, but I wanted to ask to make sure.
The only thing that really scares me about the whole thing is the wiring...How was that endeavor?
I had to change the wifes water pump in her ZJ for the past couple of eves., sorry for not responding sooner.

thanks.

Chicago

MutleyFJ62 said:
Just my aussie $0.02 worth, i would give serious consideration to the 1uz-FE from a Lexus soarer/sc400. Lighter then any other conversion, 6 bolt mains, fuel injected and you keep the blood lines pure. I wouldn't swap mine back for the world.

Interesting idea - I hadn't heard of doing this before. Can you provide some info as to how this went together for you? Did it bolt up to your tranny, wiring, etc?

Did a brief search and found a bit of info on these swaps...
http://www.lextreme.com/1uzfe_info.html

Looks like it's a popular mod.

I went diesel and its cool but with the cost of the 4BTs these days (and diesels in general) IMO it is not worth it. A Chev or even Ford V8 is definetely the best bang for the buck. Nothing really hard about it except it all takes time and money. I had never done an engine swap before mine but got it all straightened out pretty easily... About the toughest I'd done was a clutch or two prior...

My 2F in the 86 FJ60 is very tired. I am considering a swap for more power. I have a 350 from a 73 Vette which has less than 200 hp (I don't want to get into the HP scuffle). Anyway, there is a 4WD shop here in Houston which will do the swap. They are a little pricey but I plan to keep the Cruiser and want a professional job. The shop recommends I get a later model fuel injected 350 which I may do. Here is my question; If I decide to go with an automatic tranny (I have a four speed now) which one is the best choice? Will it adapt to the transfer case?

Almost any GM auto will adapt to the split tcase with an adapter. so it is really a matter of what you have available to you.

You might want to look into local smog laws on which year engine will work the best for you.

The older Vette motor might not be smog legal for your truck

I'm getting ready to do a 350 tbi swap using a 700r4 transmission. I just ordered the Advance Adapters kit to do this. Per a couple of members here in this forum and from what I've read, this is an excellent combo...

ML

Hey Meatloaf,
Lemme know how it goes, about how long it takes and what the cost is.
If I may? What do you have into the conversion thus far?

Chicago

I loved my 2f when I was running it, but now that I have a TPI 350 with a turbo 400 behind it I would never go back. The 2f allways freaked me out with only having four main berings. Even the same 258 six in a Jeep has 7 mains. Don't get me wrong the 2f never let me down it was just allways a creeping thought. Swap is made easy by the massive fj60 engine bay.

Dynosoar

chicago said:
Hey Meatloaf,
Lemme know how it goes, about how long it takes and what the cost is.
If I may? What do you have into the conversion thus far?

Chicago

Hey Chicago,

So far I've got the about $950 in the motor, $625 for the AA, I still need the tranny which will run about $1200 for a built up one. Also will need the exhaust from the ram horns back. Need more of the nickle & dime stuff (I've read here in Mud that this adds up...I'm starting to believe it!). After all is said and done I estimate at least $3500 with doing everything but the exhaust myself. I should start within the next two weeks, I can't wait since my wagon has been parked for about a year.

BMAN, here in this forum is doing a similar conversion so he might give you some more insight

Meatloaf

1998 5.7L vortec with 5 speed Toyota manual in a 1985 FJ60.
jen sm .JPG

NICE!!!! Are you lovin it curious1?

meatloaf,
Thanks for that info. 3500 actually is pretty cheap considering a long block for a 3FE is around 3800.00 through napa.:doh:
Are you gonna post progress? Im really interested to hear about it.

Chicago

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom