Engine conversion? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all!! Bought a 68' FJ40 stock put a mild lift and 33's. The old F is running out of time and I'm looking at converting to something else. My ? is what is the most economical way to do this. I've noticed the adapters cost a fortune. Would I be better off going with a complete motor, tranny and t-case conversion. Then the big ? V-8 or 4.3 Vortec. I'm thinking the Vortec would be lighter and easier on the axles. But my knowledge on this is limited. May have a line on a fresh rebuilt 4.3! I want to start picking up things here and there. I don't want to have to swap out axles at this time.

Thanks for any advice.

i have a 4.3 vortec in my gmc and its pretty fast (200hp). the problem with an engine, tranny, tcase swap is that it would requirer a centered rear axle.

or do 68's have a centered rear axle, i can't recall?

The best way to do it is as follows. Get a 350, and trans, either man or auto, and get a transfer case adapter to adapt your crusier 3 speed transfer case to the chevy transmisssion. Next is to get motor mounts, you'll need front and rear ones. Check out manafre's web site, they have everything needed to perform the swap. You'll also need to modify your driveshafts, and buy a slave cylinder adapter plate to mount your cruiser clutch slave cylinder. If you don't want to do all this, I have a decent f motor for sale, just drop me a pm. Hope this Helps, Pete

Godzilla where are you located?? Whatcha asking? Money is low right now so kinda looking to swap or aquire a little at a time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom