Engine Braking (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Engine braking

Any recommendations for/against engine braking either second gear or OD out? I have a couple of 2 mile hills that I travel on daily. Taking out the OD lets me keep off the brakes for the most part, which can go fast as we all know. My question is can this have detrimental effects on my tranny? if it can pads and rotors suddenly look real cheap.

thanks

Andre

I have the same issue on my Spyder...choice between clutch and brakes/rotors. The way I see it is that I can replace the brake pads and rotors with little fuss and expense compared to replacing a clutch or worse...so I use the brakes.

But I would make an exception on hills/conditions where I felt I would be heating up my brakes to the fade point--in that case I would use the engine to brake and go for safety over cost.

18Dec2003 (UTC -8)

As can be read from Toyota LC manuals, the overdrive can be switched off for engine braking and even be downshifted to 2nd for better engine braking. However, I asked Marlin of http://www.marlincrawler.com about this and he advises doing it too much. He said something to the effect that most of the forces will be on the coast side of the gears, which are weaker. Coasting is fine, but aggressive downshifting is not. --at least that was what I could understand in my brain's state at that time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom