Elusive miss..... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wayne

Bought by His blood, kept by His power
Threads
About four days ago the Cruiser started missing at idle and while excelerating.

It triggered the CEL and a code P0303.

I changed the spark plugs and it seemed to help at first , but the problem returned.

I changed the #3 spark plug wire and it seemed to help at first, but the problem returned.

I changed the coil wire and it made no difference.

I pulled each plug wire loose from the distributor cap one at a time with the engine idling and it made the problem worse when each wire was removed. So, I believe that tells me all of the plug wires are good.

I performed the injector test at the ECM and all wires read 11v.

I haven't tested the injectors themselves because I'm trying to get around having to pull the throttle body.

I did inspect the engine wiring harness that goes around the EGR valve and everything appears alright. Nothing looks burnt and the original thermal insulation is still intact and looks fine. The plastic clamp that secures the wire bundle to the valve cover was cracked and useless, but the wire bundle was not touching the EGR parts.

Any help trouble shooting this problem will be greatly appreciated.

Did ya check your intake hose for cracks?

Wayne said:
About four days ago the Cruiser started missing at idle and while excelerating.

It triggered the CEL and a code P0303.

I changed the spark plugs and it seemed to help at first , but the problem returned.

I changed the #3 spark plug wire and it seemed to help at first, but the problem returned.

I changed the coil wire and it made no difference.

I pulled each plug wire loose from the distributor cap one at a time with the engine idling and it made the problem worse when each wire was removed. So, I believe that tells me all of the plug wires are good.
I had a similar problem on my 93, but no CEL. I did the above, and even though it seemed the wires would be good after the same diagnosis, I replaced all spark plug wires with a new OEM set from Cdan and cured the problem instantly. If they are original they should probably be replaced anyway.

Wayne said:
The plastic clamp that secures the wire bundle to the valve cover was cracked and useless

Typical.

Post pics and condition of the plugs. You might have an injector that isn't working. A severe lean condition in #3 needs quick attention to avoid melting a piston (ask cruiserman.) If the injector is leaking it would foul the plug.

-B-

firetruck41 said:
I had a similar problem on my 93, but no CEL. I did the above, and even though it seemed the wires would be good after the same diagnosis, I replaced all spark plug wires with a new OEM set from Cdan and cured the problem instantly. If they are original they should probably be replaced anyway.

Wayne,

DEFINITELY replace all the plug wires and eliminate that possibility.

Curtis

I would also check the cap for carbon tracks . Do the K.I.S.S. then work up to spending big money :eek:

New plug wires fixed the problem...

I had to use NAPA wires because ordering them from C'dan would take a couple of days to receive them, the dealer was closed and I had to get this problem fixed now.

Thanks for all the ideas and encouragement.

Wayne S

Good to hear it was simple and relatively cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom