Builds Elsie the FJ61 (12v LHD 60/61 hybrid)... It all started with a 2300 mile road trip (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have done this twice bringing cars from other states. One was a 88 FJ62 with a member here on Mud from Washington. And the second time with a friend of mine picking up a I think it was a 70 or 71 Ford Bronco. From Arizona. Both times we made the deal checked the fluids air’d up the tires and headed home. The cruiser was actually more of a relaxed drive home. It ran so good we really had no worries. The Bronco well that was more nerve racking. That was three on the tree with an original 305 motor. Never once did it overheat. But is sucked down Gas. Every stop we checked and rechecked the Bronco for leaks and it ran great at barley 55 to 60 miles an hour. It was a long ride for sure. I guess sometimes you just do it. Fuel it up and go. AAA and some basic tools and a prayer. Whatever happens happens. Part of the adventure of buying something out of state. It’s like rolling the dice and seeing what happens.
I actually wish I could of done these drives with my son. Like you are. Great bonding moments. For sure. Have fun and don’t over stress about the drive. It will all work out.
Looking forward to watching and following this thread.
Good luck and Godspeed!

This is the way to travel. Back in my younger days, I used to travel with all sorts of gear to handle any mechanical problem I may encounter on a trip. I found that while having all that stuff gave me some piece of mind, I just never needed to use it and it sort of, in a way, lessened the spirit of adventure that accompanied my road trips. Became a real PITA to haul around. Now I just have a basic tool set and AAA. I guess these days I figure if I am that worried about the vehicle I am driving breaking down on the road as to require me taking tons of gear along to fix it if it does, I prolly need to take a different vehicle. Luckily for you, you have a 60 series. If well sorted and taken care of, that right there should give you some piece of mind. I no longer worry about what might happen nearly as much as what does happen. Experience it. Get in, gas up, and enjoy the ride. Will be something your son will most likely never forget. GL and be safe.

Totally understand. I've been studying, and practicing, bushcraft pretty deeply over the last year (you sound like a practitioner based on the questions) including a snowy solo night in a lean-to (that's a good story ;). One of the primary concepts there which I think was coined by Mors Kochanski is "The more you know the less you carry". That's ok for bushcraft in the woods but for our rigs, I think there is certainly a happy medium -- perhaps "The more you know the just enough you carry" ;)

I'm definitely bringing my go bag with tarp/knife/compass/ferro rod/cordage/sleeping bag(s)/emergency food etc.

In any case, I really appreciate everyone's input :) - I've got a much better idea of what I should be bringing along and we changed the route for the much better.

Will post pics from the road --- T-3 days!
I am with you on the minimal. When I backpacked over the years i learned to I carried as little as possible and a light as possible. A white gas stove was replaced with an alcohol stove, a fork, spoon, knife was replaced with a good Opinel knife and a titanium spork, Tent was lightweight or a tarp, etc etc etc.
Simple and anything you broke could be fixed with some twine or para cord and a stick.

With the vehicle, not so much. So I carry spares and tools as most things I can fix myself to get back and moving. While I am at it, why not sleep and eat a bit more comfortable. Unlike backpacking, you have power and storage space. So yes happy medium!

The most important thing is to make sure you have fun on the drive. Stay off the interstate as you see and enjoy the drive more.

Last edited:
I like to have an air compressor and some spare Schrader valves and a valve tool with me in case you come out in the morning and your tire is flat. Could save you hours.

The day is almost here! We’re good to go and heading out at 4am for the airport! :)

Big thanks to @LoRide for being so helpful and getting her ready for the trip home.

2B98E338-EC97-42DE-B0C9-DA77288D21C1.jpeg

Day 3 now! We flew from Seattle to Little Rock to pick her up from @LoRide. Then drove through Arkansas, Oklahoma, and now just stopped for lunch in Hayes, Kansas. She’s a great rug and loves the road — thx for all your hard work @slacker24-7!

So far seen super hot sun and driving rain/flooding. Might get some snow in Wyoming it looks like. :)

2D0F3304-77AF-4CF8-9000-BE0C0D0BE84B.jpeg

C3FE26E3-8D3A-4236-9418-9636CB2B1028.jpeg

DAD01C3B-F4D6-457D-807C-821AF0C7BE33.jpeg

8356CCF4-C4D4-4D93-82C8-F8279BF422A2.jpeg

Last edited:
if you don't carry an extra alternator, then be sure to have an extra voltage regulator ($27 or so at NAPA). dang part left me stranded in the outback of virginia on a 500 mile trip to the outer banks.
You passed right by my house... big ass toyota extra cab on tractor tires 2 miles south of the grave digger shop

Next time around. :)

End of day 3 - now we’re in wheatland, wy. Very thankful for our analog cruise control (hand throttle), it works great for those long stretches. I keep at least 10 car lengths from the car in front of me but usually much farther.

F0FB4F65-C896-458D-B581-DB864BA89B10.jpeg

B1237ABF-E54E-4384-81C5-B600AF2AD1C4.jpeg

917203AA-C7F8-4D07-ACD6-1C9EA160380D.jpeg

1457F4B9-DBA9-4309-8FAC-74F734E5BF52.jpeg

7568FC21-8C65-4F01-904E-A97E0484FE7F.jpeg

Awesome. I was also gonna suggest that you bring a sense of humor, free mind, and a camera. Build life long memories and live the adventure. Safe travels my friend.

Ice Cream, mandatory road food! Looks like a good fun trip!

Now the potentially bad. Had her serviced before we left Ark - new belts, valve job, greased up etc. retightened the belts yesterday as I was getting a squeal between 2700 and 3k rpm. Fixed.

What I hear now is a bit disconcerting. Only happening at idle and immediately goes away once I start moving but I’m wondering if this is a loosening rocker arm that is first showing up when not under load.

Tapping noise

Still have another 700ish miles to go so any ideas / thoughts welcome.

Oh and one good - the city racer / Fuji carb seemed to work fine even at 10k of altitude.

You've got yourself a really nice looking truck! Should give you years of trip like this.

Now the potentially bad. Had her serviced before we left Ark - new belts, valve job, greased up etc. retightened the belts yesterday as I was getting a squeal between 2700 and 3k rpm. Fixed.

What I hear now is a bit disconcerting. Only happening at idle and immediately goes away once I start moving but I’m wondering if this is a loosening rocker arm that is first showing up when not under load.

Tapping noise

Still have another 700ish miles to go so any ideas / thoughts welcome.

Oh and one good - the city racer / Fuji carb seemed to work fine even at 10k of altitude.

I think I fixed it (Fingers crossed). I just loosened the water pump belt that I had tightened pretty hard and the knocking seems to have gone away. Will know if actually fixed once we get on the road.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom